which block to use?

-

abodyfan

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm building a 340 for my 68 Dart convertible. I have a block that will need bored 60 over because it is currently 40 over this block is a 1970. I have a set of x heads to put on it the only thing I need is a set of pistons. I also have a complete carb to pan 1973 340 might need freshened up, I will put the x heads on it. It ran when pulled I understand that the 73 engine is lower compression. My question is will a 60 over block run cool and be reliable? Or should I build the standard bored 73 engine. I going close to stock maybe a better cam but nothing to radical.

Thanks
Brian

The .060 can run cool, no problem. But the '73 untouched block would be better to use IMO

73 block internally balance it and if you have a steel crank it's the way to go.

Std bore is better IMO. Buddy of mine is running a .060 340 and it has a tendency to run warm on hot days. He is running a big be cool w electric fans. Tried retarding the timing a little. No matter what he tries it still runs warm. Only running 160 cyl pressure so it shouldn't be running to warm.

-
Back