WHICH brake spring pliers for the job?

-

victordemise

1964 Dart 270 4 Door
Reaction score
I'm doing the front drums on my 64 Dart, and I need to know which tool to use to install the hold-down springs- These are not the ones with the little cap(I have THAT tool) These are springs that go through a hole in the shoe, and hook to a little square-ish clip in the back of the unit.
Someone's going to get me the tool, and I want to get the correct one.
Anyone know the proper tool/technique for these hold down springs?

Are you talking about the Shoe hold down springs ?

SNAKE!!! 031.jpg

Yes, but NOT like you have pictured there, these are actual springs, fatter on one end, with a hook on the narrower end that attaches to a little clip with a hole in it from the back. (I'll try to find a picture...)

I hope a brake tec will jump in here and help us out, Keep it bumped up and remember this is Friday night.

Sorry I could not help.

No problem. Thanks for trying!! There are two of us that have these weird spring hold downs and we need help. ((I foolishly went and tore my left front brake down, and now I can't get it assembled again, Thought I knew what I was doing!!))

Actually, it was "yooper822" who had the picture, so I'm hoping he knows what the deal is with the proper tool. I added him to my Yahoo messenger list, so if he responds all will be well....right? RIGHT?:-?

Right, Or some one here will jump in and help soon.

I haven't done them for over 30 years but I think we used to just stick a screwdriver in there. Put the spring on the end of a screwdriver, poke it through the hole in the shoe, then just hook it to the little "squarish clip" while holding the clip to the back side of the backing plate with your finger. Make sure the springs are in good shape. I had some that were worn out & it caused the shoes to wear unevenly across the surface. Even my shop teacher couldn't figure it out. Took me a while too. It's worth putting in new ones.

Well.... I did it (I should say, my wife and I did it)
She brought home a set of brake spring pliers-Wrong tool for those little hold-down springs. Fortunately, I had fashioned a tool (using THICK coat hanger type wire, I made a simple hook with a crude handle- Hooked the spring through the hole in the back plate, and pulled it through,HARD, while my wife got the little eyelet clip onto the spring- Glad there are only two per wheel!!)

I still want to know what tool I should have used, so if anyone knows, has a picture of it, or....?

Hope this helps someone, and that someone still helps me!!

-
Back