Which cam will work decently with stock magnum tune?

-
So the 216/224 @.050 comp you have listed is very similar to the cam I ran in my 5.2 dakota. Not trying to be a know it all but I have ran that combination.

I had 3.92 gears hooker super comp long tubes tuned for a 5.2 dakota and weighed 3,650 regular cab 2wd long box. With stock converter it wasn't impressive at all until 2,000 rpm or better then it would come unglued and smoke the tires. But that was a pegleg rear.

With your ram I think probably around 2,500 actual stall and probably 4.56 gears would put it into the low 14's maybe high 13's 1/4. But without converter and gears it will be lethargic. That's assuming you get the computer and or programming to go with it.

My 1/8 times were 8.80 with severe traction problems and 1/4 trap speeds were 106 and bouncing off the 6,000 rpm Rev limiter at the last 75' or so in the 1/4.

I wish you luck no matter

I plan on doing everything in one shot. Surprisingly stock converter flashes to 2k and brake stalls to 2200. Truck is 3800 with nothing in it and 1/2 tank fuel.

Should have stated I was running factory stock kegger and bored 52mm throttle body

Plan to cut the runners down a couple inches and run vrp's in it.

I'm thinking after you get them camshaft in your converter won't be stalling that high. Could be wrong. But converters stall higher the more torque they get and you will be loosing some torque down there.

I always wondered what would happen if some built a 52mm to that had the torque step in it like the factory ones have. Might help the bottom end.

Last edited:
Going to 1.7 rockers woke my 5.2 up in my 97 Dak. Or the 262HR-12 comp cams. Pretty close to the Mopar R/T cam. Extra 2 degrees on both intake and exhaust, lobe separation is 112 compared to 114 for the R/t Cam and slightly more lift.
I have both the 1.7's and R/T cam in my Dak. Really wakes it up. I do have the hypertech tuner also, but it runs fine with the stock tune also.

Original r/t cam was a 109 centerline the r/t 2 cam was listed as a 119 centerline but is actually a 114 centerline installed at 110

I think this hipotek grind would be a better option and can be ground on different lsa and a more chrysler lobed then the 262 comp grind that is more chevy lobed. Just my opinion

Screenshot_20210824-102944_Google.jpg

Or one of these if you really wanted to start getting serious lol

Screenshot_20210824-104153_Google.jpg

Screenshot_20210824-104126_Google.jpg

Screenshot_20210824-104044_Google.jpg

Which cam will work? wee ahh...lemme see... aww hell, I don't know...:)
Well I do know lol
This one will with stock computer. Maybe the hpt210 will without throwing codes if your not worried about codes go larger. The factory j-tech controllers will support alot but you will be hitting the Rev limiter before taking full advantage of the cam.

Those are the options from hipotek hughes also makes one or try the chevy lobed off the shelf comp grinds in the same duration

Screenshot_20210824-102944_Google.jpg

This cam.

Gives up nothing down low and makes a bunch more up top. Plays nice with mild combos and stock ecu. Probably even better with a tune.

Yeah but that's a 5.9 and he isn't running the factory j-tech he's running holley efi.

A 5.2 is going to be different. Move those rpm ranges up and vacuum down.

Doesn't make any difference to me have fun doing it

Yeah but that's a 5.9 and he isn't running the factory j-tech he's running holley efi.

A 5.2 is going to be different. Move those rpm ranges up and vacuum down.

Doesn't make any difference to me have fun doing it
Very true I missed the 5.2 part. But I wouldn’t hesitate for a second to stab that cam in a 5.2 with a stock computer. It’ll move the peak up a couple hundred rpm but it’d be worth it. I bet the stock jtec would be fine. My 5.9 has a bigger Hughes grind and ran just fine on the stock tune. No it wasn’t perfect but it ran fine.

I agree. There is alot of power hidden in those magnum 5.2 and 5.9 motors. I wish he would test it with a 52mm throttle body!

380hp crate motor was dynoed with a 650cfm carb from the factory and listed as 380hp. Put a 750 or 780 carb on them and they gain over 20hp. All the factory dyno results I seen stated they tested with a 650 carb. They guy in on the development also said they used a 650 for testing

Looking to make a couple mods on my 01 ram with the 5.2 mag. Stupid California isn't letting non factory tunes anymore so anything too radical won't be considered. Was looking at a comp 20-746-9. I know its not an a body but this forum is the best Mopar resource I know of.
I have the 20-745-9 cam in my Dakota r/t.
It works but could be better with a tune. It has a noticeable idle & decent midrange, could use a little more stall than stock also its very rich smelling

The best modification you can do while in California, is to rent a Uhaul to move the **** out.

You are wasting your time and money trying to play by their rules. Its not about emissions- I got a 408 stroker to pass EUROIV emissions - its just a money grab for the state.

The best modification you can do while in California, is to rent a Uhaul to move the **** out.

You are wasting your time and money trying to play by their rules. Its not about emissions- I got a 408 stroker to pass EUROIV emissions - its just a money grab for the state.
Hey Ryan, I've spoken to you years ago about your tuners on YouTube Good to see you on here.

Check out Hughes engine cams. The have Cams for what you need. With or without electronics

-
Back