Which Carb to choose for my 225 Slant Six

-

ValiantGuy

Reaction score
I have a 225 slant six that i will be putting a Offy intake manifold on it (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/OFY-5270LK/Application/?query=CID|225|Make|PLYMOUTH)

Also i will be putting headers and upgrading to electrical ignition.

I posted a thread earlier about which carb i should use and i came to the decision with help of others that a 390 four barrel would be good for my engine. But i just took a carb selector quiz off Holley.com
and they also reccommended the
570 CFM Four Barrel Carburetor

http://www.holley.com/0-80570
----
I REALLY like this carb. But i am wondering if it will work with my set up, i mean if it is to much for my engine. When i hottank the 225 i will be boring it out...
-----------
Or should i stick with the 390 cfm four barrel
http://www.holley.com/0-8007.asp
---------------
I really really really like the 570cfm fourbarrel but i do not want it to be to much for my engine (which will be going into a 1960 plymouth valiant)

I am haveing no problems at all with the 390 on my little 170 / :happy10:
I would think the 570 primary would be fine with your 225/, But not sure how well it will handle the secondary, A tec will jump in here soon and give you more help 8)

June third 2010 helping Creed Clean My Closet area OUT! 006.jpg

slam a THERMOQUAD on it.

This is a Demon sizzler prepped TQ in a Duster. 860 CFM. From what I understand, it COOKS.

TQss.jpg

Mike, What is the part number for your carb? Is it 0-8007?

I used to run a 390 cfm on my previous two Darts,think I'll be sticking with the same this time around too !!!

I think a 570 on a stock 225 may be a little to much, unless you drive it on the highway a lot. It would get less MPG during slower speeds on the street.

I think a 570 on a stock 225 may be a little to much, unless you drive it on the highway a lot. It would get less MPG during slower speeds on the street.

I will be upgrading the camshaft putting headers on, electric ignition and putting a offenhouser Intake manifold http://www.summitracing.com/parts/OFY-5270LK
And boring it out a bit when i rebuild it and hottank it

I will be upgrading the camshaft putting headers on, electric ignition and putting a offenhouser Intake manifold http://www.summitracing.com/parts/OFY-5270LK
And boring it out a bit when i rebuild it and hottank it

Need to be more specific, but I'm betting that a 390 Holley would be best for your build and level of experience. Why do you like the 570 so much? What are you basing your opinion on?

"Boring the engine", "upgrading the cam", and "Offy intake and headers" are all very generic hop-ups. What is your target compression ratio? What are the exact specs of the cam you intend to use? What rear end ratio? How much does the car weigh? If you're using an automatic transmission, what's the stall speed of the torque convertor? What do you expect the car to do when you're done (do you have a specific horsepower goal, specific quarter mile time, mileage expectation, budget?). Until you have very specific answers to these questions, you're just shooting in the dark. Just searching the web for parts is FUN, of course, but not really all that productive... :)

Think of a car like a football team. A great quarter-back (or even two or three great players) won't take a team to a bowl game. Not only do several key players have to be good, but they all need to play well together and compliment each other's strengths and weaknesses, and you have to have a a great playbook for them to execute.

Best of luck!

Need to be more specific, but I'm betting that a 390 Holley would be best for your build and level of experience. Why do you like the 570 so much? What are you basing your opinion on?

"Boring the engine", "upgrading the cam", and "Offy intake and headers" are all very generic hop-ups. What is your target compression ratio? What are the exact specs of the cam you intend to use? What rear end ratio? How much does the car weigh? If you're using an automatic transmission, what's the stall speed of the torque convertor? What do you expect the car to do when you're done (do you have a specific horsepower goal, specific quarter mile time, mileage expectation, budget?). Until you have very specific answers to these questions, you're just shooting in the dark. Just searching the web for parts is FUN, of course, but not really all that productive... :)

Think of a car like a football team. A great quarter-back (or even two or three great players) won't take a team to a bowl game. Not only do several key players have to be good, but they all need to play well together and compliment each other's strengths and weaknesses, and you have to have a a great playbook for them to execute.

Best of luck!
I think ill stick with the 390... Hell its my first project car and im only 13, im sure i will have a chance later on to change stuff on it. Also, It will be a daily driver..

When I had the slant in my Barracuda I tried a 600 that I had and it was way to much carb for what I had. My engine had increased compression (~9:1), a cam, headers and dual exhaust. Anyway I went with a 390 and it was perfect. Great throttle response and would run strong (well strong for a \6) to 5000+ rpm.

Slant6.jpg

Valiantguy.
If I were only 13 and had a car to work on (I was 13 once) I would just concentrate on the body work first. You should be trying to figure out what color you want. If there are any parts you need. Upgrade the brakes, suspension, interior.
Use the next few years to decide what you want the car to do, street, strip or little of both. Once you figure all that out it would be better for the folks here to give you advise on what parts will do the best for you and your car. Like vynn3 stated above, you can throw a lot of parts and money into a motor but if not PLANNED it will do you no good for what you want the car to do. But like I said earlier I was 13 at one time and wanted it all. So get some paper and start writing down what you need for the car and I'm sure we can help you keep the MoPar sprit.

BTW Mike has the Offenhauser intake you are looking for from Summit.

Hey memike, what type of intake manifold is that?

It's an Offenhuser ValiantGuy as you can see Leanna at PHOENIX SPECIALTY COATINGS brought it back to life :-D
She is our powder coating queen here :happy10:

910 4 offy 777777777 003.jpg

461.jpg

It's an Offenhuser ValiantGuy as you can see Leanna at PHOENIX SPECIALTY COATINGS brought it back to life :-D
She is our powder coating queen here :happy10:
wow! It's actually quite funny because if im correct you have a 390 Holley right? That's the same carb/intake setup i will be doing 8)

get the 390 holley, headers into 2 1/4 exhaust, the mp 268*/.460 lift cam and either a 4spd w/3.55 gears OR a 2500 stall convertor/904 at with 3.73-3.91 gears...

and be done with it, until the big valves come along...he he

side note, is this cam the best? maybe not..but it works real good and would especially work in this app.

Valiantguy.
If I were only 13 and had a car to work on (I was 13 once) I would just concentrate on the body work first. You should be trying to figure out what color you want. If there are any parts you need. Upgrade the brakes, suspension, interior.
Use the next few years to decide what you want the car to do, street, strip or little of both. Once you figure all that out it would be better for the folks here to give you advise on what parts will do the best for you and your car. Like vynn3 stated above, you can throw a lot of parts and money into a motor but if not PLANNED it will do you no good for what you want the car to do. But like I said earlier I was 13 at one time and wanted it all. So get some paper and start writing down what you need for the car and I'm sure we can help you keep the MoPar sprit.

BTW Mike has the Offenhauser intake you are looking for from Summit.

That is exactly what my dad keeps telling me. I think i will start listening more.. :munky2: I think your right on getting the body work and all those other things fixed up first. Thanks for steering me in the right direction!

get the 390 holley, headers into 2 1/4 exhaust, the mp 268*/.460 lift cam and either a 4spd w/3.55 gears OR a 2500 stall convertor/904 at with 3.73-3.91 gears...

and be done with it, until the big valves come along...he he

side note, is this cam the best? maybe not..but it works real good and would especially work in this app.

For right now i do not have the money or time to find a 833 four speed for my car so i will be sticking with the 3speed but eventually either putting in the 833 or changing the back end gearing

i have a 225 super six that i want to run a 2 barrel carb but i want to find a performance intake/carb set up and also a header. and i am looking for any power upgrades for it. i am putting it in my 65 fish

i have a 225 super six that i want to run a 2 barrel carb but i want to find a performance intake/carb set up and also a header. and i am looking for any power upgrades for it. i am putting it in my 65 fish

Talk to mouse, He has a Aluminum 2 barrel intake manifold he will sell you for around 20 bucks. I would have taken the sick deal but i am set on going 4barrel

-
Back