Which clutch and flywheel do I need?

-

BlueDream

Aspiring Mopar enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright guys I'll try to keep this as short as I can as I tend to get super long winded. I'm trying to decide which clutch and flywheel to put in my Dart when I swap the engine. I need to get my 318 working with my 3 speed. What I need to know is how many splines do I have on my input shaft? What diameter and kind of clutch would work good for my application? And lastly, what flywheel do I need to buy? I'd love any advice I can get. Thanks, Grant.

Here's some details on the engine and car

Motor:
1968 318, 9.2:1
freshened up with new rings, bearings, valve work, etc.
Comp High Energy 268h cam
Edelbrock Performer intake
Edelbrock 600 CFM carb
Hooker Competition Headers

Car:
1973 Dart Sport
Dying Slant six basically running on 4 cylinders
3 speed on the floor, very sentimental and it needs to stay.
7 1/4 rear, yes I know it's puny but it's temporary.
pic heavy build thread coming soon :glasses7:

Thanks in advance for your time and help if you've made it this far!

That would work fine for your engine combo Mcleod is top of the line to me. But I would call them to check if it will work with a 3 speed I have never seen one so I have no experience with them

That would work fine for your engine combo Mcleod is top of the line to me. But I would call them to check if it will work with a 3 speed I have never seen one so I have no experience with them

I just got off the phone with one of their tech people and he said it should fit. If not I can always send it back!

The only hurdle I have left is the flywheel. The clutch is 10.5" so what flywheel would work and where would I be able to find one?

Hi
130 tooth, 318-340 Zero balanced flywheel is what you need. 318-340 OEM same flywheel, but may have different part # only because of year difference, but they use the same.

23 spline
10.5 clutch
Neutral balanced 130 tooth flywheel....I think Summit had the pretty cheap or maybe Rock Auto.

After seeing the prices on new flywheels.....I'm ok with a good used one. Is it ok to buy a decent used one or would I run into vibration problems? If I could keep from spending $300+ I'd be happy. I'm already shelling out a few grand over the next month or so finishing up my engine build and getting it in the car, any money I could save would be great!

I removed a Flywheel from my 273 Engine before installing a 360 Motor. It looks ok, I stopped by a machine shop one day and asked if the flywheel could be resurfaced cleaned up so I could sell and he said yes, its been in the back of the Van ever since, it has some surface rust but you are welcome to have it just pay the shipping to you form Howell Mi and its yours FREE.

I an send pictures if you would like......

After seeing the prices on new flywheels.....I'm ok with a good used one. Is it ok to buy a decent used one or would I run into vibration problems? If I could keep from spending $300+ I'd be happy. I'm already shelling out a few grand over the next month or so finishing up my engine build and getting it in the car, any money I could save would be great!

McLeod makes good products, the clutch you picked is a little on the cheaper replacement side, but should work fine in your application.
Used factory cast flywheels almost every one has visable stress cracks, DO NOT USE any flywheel in this conditon.

I do have a used SFI CenterForce flywheel with super low street driven miles on it reasonable.
PM me if interested.

Also you need to remove the overide clutch spring to use the clutch, but petal effort should be easier.
Diaghpram pressure plate --- no spring
Borg & Beck pressure plate (stock style) harder to push the clutch in.
The A230 it is a good trans, ran one for a long time it came out of a 340 car and never did break, but eventually it started popping out of second gear when you let off the gas.

This flywheel will work not SFI $80
http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/zzz-50-3409/overview/make/dodge

I agree w kman521 on flywheel. Just remember its your foot thats going to get sawed in half with a stress cracked 40 year old POS. Not a place to cut corners. stock flywheels are just that good for stock nothing more.

-
Back