Which Dana?

-

MB43

Reaction score
What's the difference between all the different Dana rear ends?

35, 44, 60, 70, 80, etc? What's the difference between the truck and car Danas?

Visually the Dana 60 has a 60 cast into it at the rear next to the rear cover.
The truck axle tubes are a little thicker ,may require a little grinding if you are using leaf springs for the u-bolts to fit over.
My truck rear will require new ends welded on,(had full floater style ends) which allows me to use ford ends to use exployer disc brakes ,which are cheap to buy through Summit etc.

http://store.summitracing.com/egnse...=fms-m-2300-g&searchinresults=false&N=700+115

What about strength? Most people are using Dana 60s in cars, what about the others?

Here are my quick thoughts based on my off roading experiences. Others may have better insights...

Dana 35 - fairly weak C-Clip style axle. Most people agree that the 8.25 is a much better axle. You can probably find these for free from most Jeep people who are upgrading.

Dana 44 - 31 spline non c-clip axle. Most applications will need to be cut down to fit in an a-body. Jeep folks see these as upgrades from the puny D35. Folks will argue that an 8.25 is equal in strength to a Dana 44.

Dana 60 - Very strong axle. Most came in 3/4 - 1 ton fords and Dodge trucks. Can also find them in 3/4 - 1 ton vans. Tons of axle ratios and locker scenarios available. Will need to be cut down to fit.

Dana 70/80 - Found in newer Dodge 2500 and 3500 trucks. Also found in some older military issue GM 1 ton and 1.5 ton. Way overkill for an a body in my opinion.

Thanks,
OldMoparsRule

Excellent information. Thanks very much.

Also the "truck" Dana has no provision for a bolt on pinion snubber. Probably not much of a concern in a race car with other than stock leaf spring suspension.

Also the "truck" Dana has no provision for a bolt on pinion snubber. Probably not much of a concern in a race car with other than stock leaf spring suspension.

I'm really not concerned about the snubber.

Aside from that, there's no difference between the truck Dana 60 and a car Dana 60? If I found a front Dana 60 from a truck, could I use that or are the front and rears different?

A front Dana will probably be offset to one side. Also the amount it will cost you to rebuild, shorten, new ends and axles you could probably buy a built one.

A front Dana will probably be offset to one side. Also the amount it will cost you to rebuild, shorten, new ends and axles you could probably buy a built one.

That sucks. Why does this hobby have to be so expensive? ;-)

I If I found a front Dana 60 from a truck, could I use that or are the front and rears different?

The front Dana 60 would be reverse rotation, it would not work for you unless you flipped it over. At this point you would have an oiling problem...among other things. 8)

You should be able to find a truck or van rear Dana 60 out there. One of the best places to look is the "parting out" section of a local classified ads. In Cali we have a Parts and Equipment trader.

Thank You!

OldMoparsRule!

I also think the truck D60 have larger tube thickness. Some one told me the cars have a 1/4 wall thickness and the truck use a 3/8. I used a 3/4 ton chevy truck rear end and the tubes were massively thick! should of measured it.

Phone pics 012.jpg

I also think the truck D60 have larger tube thickness. Some one told me the cars have a 1/4 wall thickness and the truck use a 3/8. I used a 3/4 ton chevy truck rear end and the tubes were massively thick! should of measured it.

The truck 60's do have 3/8" thick tubes.

I had the DANA 80 in my 02 cummins ram 6 speed, with 3:55's. You could floor it, side-step the clutch in 2nd gear & it wouldnt phase the DANA 80. It would lite em' up every time.....until the clutch crapped out that is. That truck was bombed out as well. (Bombed = diesel slang for hot rod).

-
Back