Votes: 54 18.4%
  • Viper 8.2L V10

Votes: 77 26.2%
  • Old School 440

Votes: 163 55.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-
V10, sounds like an awesome project....let us know when you start so we find the pics to it.

If the only choices are new hemi, viper, or 440 here is how I'd do each...

Viper: any way is frickin awesome!
440: tunnel ram
New hemi: I hate the looks of all the plumbing and plastic. I'd convert it to carbs with mod man intake, 3x2bbl. Do they make traditional style valve covers and ingition to get rid of the cheesy coil packs?

440 would be easiest swap. cheaper in the long run. less $$$ more HP. aluminum heads $1500. no special fabrication i'm sure K frame will take a 440 without much work. what engine is in it now?

viper engine you can get 1000hp easily but gonna cost big $$$

newgen swap is lots of twerkin around, double the time alloted for fab & fit

No k frame on a truck.
They have a straight axle.
Some came stock with big blocks so it bolts right in.

Cummins 4BT, less weight than a 6BT, easy to crank up the HP, massive torque to haul this piggy down the road, and don't forget the mileage (mpg) and they will last 400,000 miles. And you get that cool turbo whine. You can buy a whole bread truck with a 5 speed for less than what a small block cross ram costs. Viper motors are cool and make lots of power but they are a little pricey although I have seen plenty of gen 2 engines with trans for $5000-$8000. V10's also don't get very good mileage in heavy vehicles. You might get 19 mpg in a Viper but its more like 6 mpg in a truck.Late hemi's don't cost as much used but by the time you invest in all the crap to put one in it's not worth the effort. You can buy a real 572 cubic inch hemi from Indy for what it costs to put in a late hemi. Its all a matter of if your going for the "oh wow" factor which would be late hemi or v10 or the "oh cool" factor which would be 4BT or maybe a slant six with an Offy valve cover and a 2 one barrel intake with headers.

I don't know if it's possible, but I think it'd be cool in something like that to do a 1st gen Viper V-10 with the intake runners stretched out to make it look like a more modern cross ram.

Tin,

I voted v10, but I KNOW whatever you build will be amazing... my 2nd choice would be Hemi, but you've been there, done that...

Im so Jealous!!!

I would love to do a patina truck/car. My brother has the "familys" '40 chevy truck, I gotta talk him out of a restoration...

JOE

I'm impressed with all the great ideas you guy's are coming up with on how to spend MY money. One important thing to consider is MPG. I plan on driving the wheels off of this truck, hopefully everyday in the nice weather, so fuel mileage is an import consideration.
I know the Hemi will do around 20mpg, the Viper probably mid teens ( the truck should weigh less than 4K lbs.) The old school 440 could do mid teens if I put fuel injection on it. So right now the Hemi is in the lead.

I'm impressed with all the great ideas you guy's are coming up with on how to spend MY money. One important thing to consider is MPG. I plan on driving the wheels off of this truck, hopefully everyday in the nice weather, so fuel mileage is an import consideration. I know the Hemi will do around 20mpg, the Viper probably mid teens ( the truck should weigh less than 4K lbs.) The old school 440 could do mid teens if I put fuel injection on it. So right now the Hemi is in the lead.
how heavy is the actual dodge viper in comparison to your 3800-4000lb truck? I must have missed the part about mpg being important. With that being the case, an Efi 440 or boosted Efi slant six would be pretty cool

how heavy is the actual dodge viper in comparison to your 3800-4000lb truck? I must have missed the part about mpg being important. With that being the case, an Efi 440 or boosted Efi slant six would be pretty cool

Depending on which generation Viper you compare it to it ranges anywhere from 3,280 on a first generation roadster to 3,460 on a 4th generation SRT-10.

New hemi: I hate the looks of all the plumbing and plastic. I'd convert it to carbs with mod man intake, 3x2bbl. Do they make traditional style valve covers and ingition to get rid of the cheesy coil packs?
Glad someone else said that. I saw a really nice 30's Plymouth coupe at a car show, he opened the hood and there was a new hemi complete with coil packs that to me detracted from the rest of the car. I have also seen a 67 Satelite (featured in Mopar Collectors Guide a while back)that has a new style hemi, but he mad phony valve covers to hide the coil packs, and has all the fittings and electronics hidden and it looks awesome.

If you plan to desecrate it with bags and bling, go full-on desecration: smallblock Chevy with stock TBI.

By the sound of what yer plannin, My vote is fer the Hemi,...kinda goes with the theme of the truck for today's times, being lowered and all,....

440's been done about a gazillion times, (just how many zero's iz that anyways???)

You can still get v10 donor trucks faily reasonable, but for DD use, why not go for something recently made, and parts plentiful.

This one.

Attachments

• SOCK MOTOR.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 251
Sorry but that slammed chevy just looks Stupid !

If you plan to desecrate it with bags and bling, go full-on desecration: smallblock Chevy with stock TBI.

You guy's kill me, haven't you got anything better to do than dump on someone else's thread? You don't like what I'm doing, that's fine, just keep it to yourself!:finga:

You guy's kill me, haven't you got anything better to do than dump on someone else's thread? You don't like what I'm doing, that's fine, just keep your it to yourself!:finga:

I'm not here to dump on your thread I just don't get the "slammed" look, I'm on the other side of the fence.When I look at that truck all I can see is dana 60 front 70 rear and a set of 35's(at least).So each to their own.Now with that said if you get the whole truck I'd go new hemi.OBD II and parts,but as long as there's Mopar power under the hood it's gotta be cool!

None of the above. Use a 03-06 Common rail Cummins. more power and better fuel economy. Real trucks don't have spark plugs.

-
Back