Which engine should i go with

-

Joseph24251_200

The Mopar Kid
Reaction score
Hello, I am lookin for a engine to storke for my 67 Dart, thinkin of going with a roller type engine but i'm not sure which year's they came in. Would i be correct to go with a 93-to 03 dodge ram 360 block?

528 Hemi.....:toothy10:? I'd look to the newer block just for the roller cam, but, I guess it depends on your performance goals. Do tell?

im lookin to get 550 at the crank just somethin i can drive to the track race a lil and drive home without gettin my *** handed to me on every pass. Really i want to go fuel injected but i do not want one of these newer Charger engine in my Car. I want to give the classic muscle look inside and out on this one. Oh yeah to add i'm planing on stroking a 360 thats y im lookin for the roller engine

Most of the Magnums will only go 0.030 over so they'll stroke to 406CI. Decent roller cam, Good forged 4" crank, balanced, 10:1 pistons, you can get around 490-520 easy. Any more than that you will need to dig real deep into the pockets. Many of the older 360 blocks could go 0.040 over if the sonic checked ok. The newer magnum castings are thinner. The advantage is that they are already set up for a roller cam. I was lucky with mine. It was a 94 block and checked out to go 0.040 over. I am using a really mild cam too to keep the EFI simple and its been dyno'd 3 times and been between 445 and 465 HP at the rear wheels. Actually if you can find an 89 or 90 360 block those were set up for rollers. Just need to get the spider and thats an easy item. Plus the older blocks seem to be thicker. 2000 and up are the thinnest ones in my experience.

Larry

Hey Larry, just wondering, did you ever ask how much is would cost to drill a magnum block for head oiling? Just wondering.

thats around my power rang Larry, not really worried about the money right now. Just got a good job and dont' have any bills beside a phone, Lawyer fees (for speeding tickets), rent, and gas (yeah gas is still a bill). But i wanna get this done while this good job last u know. Hopefully it's perminate. Anyone know any good builders in NC close to Fayetteville.

I'd go with a late 80's to 91 360 block too cause they were roller lifters but used LA heads which have a better valve train arrangement IMO.

Hey Larry, just wondering, did you ever ask how much is would cost to drill a magnum block for head oiling? Just wondering.

Local guy here quoted me $350.00 to do it. I think he has (or had at the time) an engineer drawing of the LA engine that gave the exact placement of the passage. I think the biggest problem in drilling them is the length of the bit and the fact that it needs to be straight down to the cam bearing seat. He has a huge lathe that could chuck the bit and feed it out a little at a time to keep the flex out of the bit. I know he has done some similiar jobs before with good results. I thought about it but looked at the iron magnum heads with the 2.02 valves and decided it was a better setup. The magnum heads do flow a little better.

-
Back