which flexplate

-

reddishdsb

Reaction score
73 318 stroker 6 bolt crank to 904 trans, will the b & m 10230 work?

The engine builder will know or determine what it needs. It all depends whether it was or will be internally or externally balanced.

There are two bolt patterns for the flex plate to the crank. Offset and symmetrical... See what your crank has and match that..

Then check your torque converter bolt pattern. They are 10" or 11"... Measure that and make sure to get symmetrical or offset bolt pattern to match the crank, then 10" or 11" bolt pattern to match the torque converter...

Here's the different stock repros that mancini offers:

Mancini Racing

There are two bolt patterns for the flex plate to the crank. Offset and symmetrical... See what your crank has and match that..

I believe you're confusing the flexplate-to-crank bolt pattern to the 2 different balancer/damper bolt patterns for pulleys. Mopar V-8 cranks all have the same 6 bolt crank-to-flexplate pattern out back. Some high dollar aftermarket units & Hemis have an 8 bolt pattern. But you are correct about the different converter patterns and bolt sizes.

I believe you're confusing the flexplate-to-crank bolt pattern to the 2 different balancer/damper bolt patterns for pulleys. Mopar V-8 cranks all have the same 6 bolt crank-to-flexplate pattern out back. Some high dollar aftermarket units & Hemis have an 8 bolt pattern. But you are correct about the different converter patterns and bolt sizes.

Check my link to the mancini flex plates. They offer them in symmetrical and offset, with 10" or 11" torque converter mounting...

two difference patterns for flexpate to converter...but as Loco said all 6 bolt crank to flexplate are the same..

The engine builder will know or determine what it needs. It all depends whether it was or will be internally or externally balanced.

that above also...
but the 4 inch cast crank is suppose to be able to be internally balanced due to the lighter 318 pistons...

Have to watch the OD of flexplate occasionally for interference with the starter.

Check my link to the mancini flex plates. They offer them in symmetrical and offset, with 10" or 11" torque converter mounting...

That's a new one on me. I have no idea what application the "symetrical" would be for because the offset crank bolt (and corresponding offset converter bolt) is needed to properly orient an externally balanced converter on the usual V-8s requiring external balance.

Mancini:
"Note: Crank bolt spacing 6 Equal - Symetrical"
"Note: Crank bolt spacing 5 Equal - 1 Offset"

But if the OP's stroked 318 is internally balanced, the "usual" neutral flexplates would work, just gotta get the right converter bolt size and radius.

I just ran into this issue. I used the B&M 10230 flexplate and had to get a different starter to clear the larger diameter. Other than that, everything bolted up fine.

I believe B&M use to make a small OD solid, neutral flexplate a while back, but discontinued it. It was like their 8-bolt Hemi version, but for 6 bolt cranks.

Heck may just stick with the stock one.
I'm sure most are happy users, but I wouldn't trust a stock flexplate for performance use. The ones I've seen break over the years, even the solid-eared ones, have been at the dragstrip. But this includes 13 second cars.

-
Back