Which Fluids are recommended? 1969 Dodge Dart 273 3 Speed Torqueflight Tranny

-

Nico O'Hara

Reaction score
Hello!

Im just wondering what are the recommended fluids you would go for? Oil, Coolant, Tranny Fluid? I have a 1969 Dodge Dart Custom 4 door and I have gotten to crank a few times!!! I need to do a flush on everything though, since it sat for a few years. Im currently in the process of cleaning the tank and then ill hook up the new fuel sending unit, and maybe replace the fuel lines?

do a search there's at least 100 threads on the subject type F is what I use .

Hey Nico, in New Mexico I'd probably use 20w50 oil on a worn 273. If it is newly rebuilt I'd probably go with 10w40.
For coolant use a green ethylene glycol. I buy the concentrated kind and mix 50% coolant- 50% distilled water.
Transmission fluid, I use Dexron III.

If you have a way to blow out the fuel lines, do it. If not, I'd be tempted to replace any rubber lines and go for it. When buying rubber fuel line make sure it's for gasoline. The part stores like selling you transmission line.

Im currently in the process of cleaning the tank and then ill hook up the new fuel sending unit

If you still have the OEM sender DO NOT DAMAGE IT OR THROW IT AWAY.

aftermarket senders are horrible and inaccurite. You can rebuild yours or have it rebuilt.

Last edited by a moderator:
-
Back