Which Fuel Pump are you guys using for Fuel Injected Hemi?

-

jrlegacy23

68 Barracuda
Reaction score
I am looking at some fuel pumps for my 5.7L Hemi swap. I am using the factory fuel injection. What are you guys using for a fuel pump? Are you guys going internal or external pumps? What PSI do you need?
Any links to a descent fuel pump?

Would this one from an LS1 work?
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/LS1-Complete-Fuel-Delivery-Kit,41792.html

91012805_L_1719892c.JPG

Go to tanksinc.com and look at their set up. I'm using the 255lph kit and the hemi needs 58 psi so it was perfect.

Also, the set up posted will work, but an in tank pump will run cooler and last longer.

I used a Hot Rod City Garage tank setup that came with an in-tank pump. I believe it was the usual Walbro 255 or equivalent pump. Have an adjustable bypass regulator in the engine bay as well.

Walbro GSL392 here (external version of walbro 255 lph pump). I'm also using an external fuel accumulator so I can drain the tank to the last gallon (and I have).

Carter 4600hp -> BC Bronco's fuel accumulator -> Walbro GSL 392 -> corvette filter/regulator (Wix 33737)

I have a gss340 walbro in tank with a surge tank. Wonder if an external regulator and a return off the fuel rails is a better setup than the Corvette regulator/filter setup?

Thanks for all the help guys. Sounds like the in tank is the way to go.
72BBSwinger, I would think that a external reg and return off the fuel line would just be doing the same job with more materials.

OEMs do it that way, deadhead the rails, just seems like it could cause vaporlock.

I have a gss340 walbro in tank with a surge tank. Wonder if an external regulator and a return off the fuel rails is a better setup than the Corvette regulator/filter setup?

Yes. A full return off the rails is the best way to go, especially when using a higher than stock capacity pump.

What are you using for a second pump with the surge tank?

I liked the idea of a full return system since it always kept the gas flowing. Helps keep the rails and the fuel cooler before being injected, especially after shutting the engine off and having a lot of potential heat soak. I also got the regulator as part of my fuel injection package, so that's another reason I went that way.

Go to tanksinc.com and look at their set up. I'm using the 255lph kit and the hemi needs 58 psi so it was perfect.

Also, the set up posted will work, but an in tank pump will run cooler and last longer.
+1 I went this route as well. Picked up a new tank and an aeromotive return style regulator.

Aj

What're you using for rails?

Assuming that you're talking to me, I just bought some blank extrusion and made my own. I have a ModMan intake as opposed to the stock, so I needed to come up with something anyway. For what it's worth I also run them in a parallel flow setup (line from tank splits at firewall into the back of each rail) where each rail terminates at the bypass regulator. Has worked well so far, though I had one freak occurance where the car just died and I never could figure it out. Was just driving home from work and the car started bogging down. Died in the road and pushed it into a parking lot. Could hear the pump prime on key on, but wasn't seeing any pressure at the regulator. Don't know if it just sucked some trash or what, but I just left it and came back in a few hours (had a dentist appointment), and it fired up fine. No issues since.

The pump is in the surge tank with trap doors.

So you've got a collector tank in your fuel cell? I didn't think those were called surge tanks unless they had a second pump feeding them.

Most surge tanks (aside from road race cars) are external from the main fuel cell, and do not operate without a second pump.

-
Back