which head gasket?

-

redfastback

Don't ask me... my garage is empty
Reaction score
my motor is at the machine shop and they just called me to ask which head gasket i want to run. they are suggesting a gasket that is .060 compared to the one that was on there at .040. i wasn't hitting at all but with the pistons out .010, they want to play it safe.

what do you guys think? we are trying to stay in the .035-.045 quench factor, but the original had me at .030 and the others will take me to .050.

Go .050, .030 is too close IMHO. Cometic will make you a custom gasket too.

well since i have valve reliefs in the pistons, we decided to go with the .030. that is what was on there to begin with for the first 6k miles, and it was not hitting at all. i only increased lift of the cam by .004 on the intake and .007 on the exhaust.

You're going to be sorry. .030 quench is too tight. If you just had it rebuilt and they honed the block you just added more piston to wall clearance and now the piston will rock over more and probably hit the head.

You're going to be sorry. .030 quench is too tight. If you just had it rebuilt and they honed the block you just added more piston to wall clearance and now the piston will rock over more and probably hit the head.

it has not been rebuilt. it was a mp crate motor that i just put 6k miles on. it was at the machine shop ot get the intake milled to fit. since it was there, i figured i might as well have the heads pulled, checked, and put back on. the block did not get milled. the heads got shaved .002 which does not bring it closer, just more flat.

That is getting to close for comfort. It is not the valve's that are the problem. It is the piston hitting the head itself at higher rpm's. As the engine gets more wear on it the closer the pistons will get and then there is the rod stretch. I know I wouldn't trust one that tight. Monte is telling you the straight scoop.

Jack

well we ordered the .050 gasket that monte suggested. that makes all of us more at ease.

I think he meant flat tops, positive decked .010, with valve reliefs, they will never hit the head, but maybe valves, What is the lift?

i knew that we should have between .035-.045, the ideal quench area, but even my machinist was a little skeptical on the .039 gaskets even though we were never hitting before, which is why he wanted to go with the .060 gaskets. he didn't even think to look in his marine book, but after i told him about the suggested gasket he ordered it.

thanks monte, jack, for the suggestion of the gasket and your input.

Hey Red what did those Fel-pros cost you? I tried looking them up on Napaonline but didn't find anything on them.

Thanks, Tracy

That is getting to close for comfort. It is not the valve's that are the problem. It is the piston hitting the head itself at higher rpm's. As the engine gets more wear on it the closer the pistons will get and then there is the rod stretch. I know I wouldn't trust one that tight. Monte is telling you the straight scoop.

Jack
is that why sometimes a well worn engine seems to run so strong?From what you are saying,it sounds like it would boost compression,if even a little bit,because the piston is moving higher in the bore?

i saw them on boatfix.com for like $60 a piece? give or take $10. they are a marine head gasket.

-
Back