which heads for 96 360?

-

moparcolt

Reaction score
I am building a small block 360 for a friend. I haven't done a 360 in a good long while. I have some questions. The block is a 96 I believe. Whaich heads will work? I am looking for the heart shaped small chambers and shaft mount rockets, if that is an option. Also can you put
a hydraulic roller in this block easily?

Chris

It should already have a hydraulic roller cam in it if it is a 96.
Any of the magnum heads will work, just make sure they are not cracked, but what is the purpose of the engine and goals before you can get a good educated answer.

I got it as a bare block. So I don't know what it had in it. The date on the side of the block is 26 2 96 is that a magnum block? What is the difference between that and a standard 360m

Chris

Magnum blocks are newer blocks 92 and up. You can get factory roller hydraulic lifters for pretty cheap from Mopar. Check here http://www.moparonlineparts.com they sell parts for 10% over cost.
There are a few differences between magnum and LA blocks, I am not real sure of all of the differences, so I will leave that up to someone else to answer.

Anyone know if the crank is different? I have a 360 crank, but it is older. Will any 360 crank work in this block?

Anyone know if the crank is different? I have a 360 crank, but it is older. Will any 360 crank work in this block?

only difference will be in the balance...since you rebuilding the engine...just have the LA 360 crank balanced with the new rods and pistons..and use the magnum balancer/flexplate

the magnums had lighter pistons and rods..

The valvetrain and the oiling to the valvetrain are different. The magnums do not have shaft mounted rockers and they oil thru the pushrods. So while you CAN use Magnum heads on a LA block, you CAN'T use LA-style heads on a Magnum block.

But the magnum block can have the oiling for the older style heads drilled from the deck to the cam bearings if needed.

-
Back