Which HEADS

-

chuckwagon2004

71 dartswinger
Reaction score
Magnum or 360 heads im lookin for the biggest bang for the buck guys and im thinking magnum heads but the guy at the junkyard said they are bad about having cracks... Hell I dunno

the magnum heads are prone to cracking and I have known several guys that have had cracked heads on stock 5.9 engines. They do flow better than the la heads. You might want to look at EQ magnum heads though they seem to be a good stock replacement and flow decent.

the magnum heads are prone to cracking and I have known several guys that have had cracked heads on stock 5.9 engines. They do flow better than the la heads. You might want to look at EQ magnum heads though they seem to be a good stock replacement and flow decent.

Yup. Dont waste time or money trying to find good used magnums. I have a good used set,but I got really lucky.

The magnums are a little more expensive route to go,as there are extra costs involved putting them on an la block.

Im a firm believer that they have a better exhaust port and modern combustion chamber. It allows for more compression,less timing advance and cheaper fuel. Worth it IMHO.

Yup. Dont waste time or money trying to find good used magnums. I have a good used set,but I got really lucky.

Shoot, guess I'll have to work the cost of a new pair of Magnum heads into my 360 buildup budget.

I'm definitely going with Magnum heads though, they will let your engine run much more efficiently (more power and MPG).

IMO, though Magnum heads show nice gains in low lift and etc...The list goes on, the swap can cost some bucks while keeping the "LA" heads is a straight foward deal.

Many head porters are used to LA heads and know the tricks that makem it well. I'd stay with an LA head on a LA block for cost considerations.

I'm with you Rumble, A good, inexpensive bowl port and your flow is already up above the magnums at this point. Weighing the cost of bowl porting the LA castings vs the change over with the magnums and you are bucks ahead.
Terry

I agree read the post by BJR Racing he tested both heads and not much gain for the money.
Bruce

They will flow as good as an la,you have to know how to port them.

The exhaust port is much better than an la.

Needsaresto, You are right, the exhaust ports on the mag's are better than the LA heads. But the intake isn't. They are both about equal. With simple bowl and port work the LA exhaust is as good as the magnums. Well ported LA castings can easily approach 180-190 cfm range on the exhaust side. While the magnum exhaust port is better in the as cast form, it is on the 'smallish' side. 190 cfm range might be difficult to achieve. And even if you can,.. it isn't better, just more expensive. I still believe that it is less expensive to open up th LA's, than to change over to the magnum set up. Being that you already have the LA parts. JMHO. Good luck,
Terry.

-
Back