Which holley for 340 magnum???

-

71340Duster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I've been pawing through the threads hoping I would find a silver bullet thread but I didn't although there's a ton of good info there. I am going with a Holley for my Duster, I have a high compression 340, Edelbrock RPM Air Gap (on the way), 904 trans (TQ to be determined), 8.25 rear end 3.55 ratio, cam tbd. I will have headers, not sure what will work with Magnum EQ heads (LA intake pattern). I plan on mostly street driving but I don't want to run out of power if I wind it up. I want to know if a Holley model 750 would be a good match. I need a choke (Northwest), prefer an electric and vacuum secondaries. I would appreciate opinions suggestions about Holley choices, if it's the right size for what I'm planning to do, model numbers?

Thanks!!!

RRR and 70ARR,
Okay, thanks, I've read that before that the 3310 is hard to beat. I'm not sure what the CFM is but will look into that. It seems like there's advantages and disadvantages to just about any carb, can you tell me about any down side, it seems like I read some, so there's my problem, no experience.
Thanks again.

The 3310 is a 750 cfm carb. They are great. I have been using that carb on any motor from 350 to 440 c.i. since anout 1973, and they seem to run good on everything with very little tuning required. I just put one on my 340 and it is fantastic. This carb was originally made for G.M. and they put it on the 1965 Z-16 396 engines. Here's a quote from a Rod Authority article: "In 1965, the new list number 3310 (a model 4150 carb), made its smash debut on the 375-horsepower 396ci engine that came in the 1965 Z-16 Chevelle. It only lasted for one year as an OE production carburetor, but it had been such a huge success as a performance carburetor that Holley released it as an aftermarket carburetor in 1966, available to the masses.

The 3310 started out as a 4150 model with primary and secondary metering blocks and in the 1970s, Holley changed it to a 4160 model with a secondary metering plate. Since the 4160’s introduction, it has been one of Holley’s best selling carburetors and has been listed in Hot Rod Magazine’s Hot Rod Speed Parts Hall of Fame as one of top 10 speed parts ever produced that have had a significant impact on hot rodding as we know it."

69 340 GTS,
Thanks for the CFM and some history, I have heard this one has been a good one over the years. I believe I looked at this on the Holley site, seems like it was at least $100 dollars less than some other models I was looking at.....that is a good thing!!

69 340 GTS,
Thanks for the CFM and some history, I have heard this one has been a good one over the years. I believe I looked at this on the Holley site, seems like it was at least $100 dollars less than some other models I was looking at.....that is a good thing!!

The one I am using is the 0-3310C. You'll need the electric choke kit 45-223 and the 20-7 Mopar kickdown bracket for your automatic. At Summit the whole deal is about $420. You also need to look at dual-inlet fuel lines for a "4160" Holley. There are dozens of them to pick from, depending on what you are using for fuel line and what kind of look you prefer.

Okay, thanks to all. I ordered the Holley 0-805085 4160. I also ordered the choke kit and a dual fuel line adapter. I will need to figure out the kick down cable still though, the Summit site does not list a 20-7 but if I search Mopar kick down for a 904, I get KD-2904HT60, a nice stainless 60 inch cable. I guess I'm wondering could that not be correct because the 904 also went on /6's? Maybe I"m trying to nuke this, I have seen references to the 20-7 cable, just didn't see it listed that way on Summit.

Thanks again, huge help!!!

its not a cable...its a small adapter bracket that bolts to the throttle shaft lever

Yes, I figured that out, I'm a dummy. I drilled down too far so when I did the search for 20-7 all it showed was tires!!! I went back in and ordered it, thanks!!

The 3310 is a 750 cfm carb. They are great. I have been using that carb on any motor from 350 to 440 c.i. since anout 1973, and they seem to run good on everything with very little tuning required. I just put one on my 340 and it is fantastic. This carb was originally made for G.M. and they put it on the 1965 Z-16 396 engines. Here's a quote from a Rod Authority article: "In 1965, the new list number 3310 (a model 4150 carb), made its smash debut on the 375-horsepower 396ci engine that came in the 1965 Z-16 Chevelle. It only lasted for one year as an OE production carburetor, but it had been such a huge success as a performance carburetor that Holley released it as an aftermarket carburetor in 1966, available to the masses.

The 3310 started out as a 4150 model with primary and secondary metering blocks and in the 1970s, Holley changed it to a 4160 model with a secondary metering plate. Since the 4160’s introduction, it has been one of Holley’s best selling carburetors and has been listed in Hot Rod Magazine’s Hot Rod Speed Parts Hall of Fame as one of top 10 speed parts ever produced that have had a significant impact on hot rodding as we know it."

Okay, I'm showing more ignorance here, I ordered a carb that already has an electric choke on it, then I ordered an electric choke kit....Yeah. I like that Summit sends you a return label ha ha. I am wondering about the secondary metering plate, I'm wondering if I'll ever need to change anything/tune anything with it.

Well, then you did not order the actual 3310. I'm not real sure what other differences there are between the 80508 and the 3310 besides the electric choke.

Chances are you won't have to mess with the secondary metering plate. Unless you plan on tuning this engine for maximum power at WOT, like on a dyno, there won't be much reason to change it.

Yeah, I guess I didn't. Is the 3310 still in production, all I saw on the Summit site is reman. I've got nothing against that, was looking at new and thought what I got was the same style carb but "new". I dunno

I hope this has the same or very close to the same perfomance charachteristics as the 3310

Attachments

• WP_20150128_004.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 259
Yeah, I guess I didn't. Is the 3310 still in production, all I saw on the Summit site is reman. I've got nothing against that, was looking at new and thought what I got was the same style carb but "new". I dunno

Nope, brand new: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-0-3310c
Other than the "silver" finish, the 3310 doesn't have the Holley name and other stuff cast into the top of the bowls and the vacuum chamber. There must be something else different about it, but the readily available specs don't seem to indicate anything.

Nope, brand new: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-0-3310c
Other than the "silver" finish, the 3310 doesn't have the Holley name and other stuff cast into the top of the bowls and the vacuum chamber. There must be something else different about it, but the readily available specs don't seem to indicate anything.

Okay, shiny carb goes back, doesn't look old school anyway, thanks again.

FWIW, I found the new Quick Fuel and Holley all aluminum carbs easier to tune than the older zinc(?) castings. The quality overall is better and I believe they are calibrated a bit differently. In my case, it was switching from the 4779 series double pumpers.

I have a 805085 and a 3310. They are basically the same accept the 805085 has electric choke, a provision for a heated choke and the shinny finish. The 805085 I run on my 460 out of the box and its a great carb. Actually bought is for my 340 back in the late 90's from Mancini.

I have a 805085 and a 3310. They are basically the same accept the 805085 has electric choke, a provision for a heated choke and the shinny finish. The 805085 I run on my 460 out of the box and its a great carb. Actually bought is for my 340 back in the late 90's from Mancini.

You mentioned a heated choke, I've never heard of anything but electric or manual, wonder how that works. I sent out the shiny carb today will be getting the 3310 soon. Little brown truck paid a visit, brought something to mount it to!!!

Attachments

• WP_20150130_001.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 153
-
Back