Reaction score
I have been getting different opinions from my search's here
and hope someone can set me correct.
I have read that the woodgrain Hurst ball was first used in 69
and the white ball was used in 68.
I have also read the woodgrain ball was used on all years
with the Hurst sticks.
Can someone give me a definate on this.
My goal is to be factory correct for a 68 console hurst shifter in a barracuda.

woodgrain ...I always thought the white ones were for wayyy earlier cars as in 64-66 barracuda

I believe wood grain also. Brewer's has them listed for 68' A bodies with the Hurst shifter. There may have been some inland shifters used in early 68' with a different ball, but I don't know if that it applies to the A body cars?

Goodmark lists them for mid 68' and 69' applications on A&B bodies, but idk?

Wood ball/husrt shifter started mid year '68 thru '69

Thanks for all your post. Looks like its woodgrain for the Hurst in 68 and
likely all the newer years also in our A's
Makes me want to go back and erase that post I found talking about white
for the 68s. I began to question myself. Spent a good deal of time trying to convince myself which was correct before posting the question here.

If youre going to bang shifts, you gotta have a ball.
-And a really short stick.And raise it up.And move it back a bunch, like where the Viper shifter is.
-And mod the sliders ,and cones and rings and experiment with oils, and energizer springs and bigger shiftrods and bushings,and z-bar mods, and plate departures, and...
-And finally it shifts at 7200 in less than a heartbeat.
-Saweeet
-Oh, sorry. Just reminiscing.Mine in my 69-S is black.When I bought it, in the late 70s, it had a T-handle.

My 68 Formula S had a white ball when it rolled off the truck, but it was a non console car. I asked about a wood grain and was told I could order one in the parts department. The white ball was still on it when I sold the car in the late 80's. I used to see it every once in a while, but it's been a few years now and I have no idea how to contact the guy that bought it.

-
Back