which is faster.

-
a 1973 360 or
a 1968 318

IIRC, in '73 a 360 wouldn't have come in any performance applications...mostly trucks (can anyone verify?)...

If you're comparing hp numbers, keep in mind that ratings switched to Net HP in '73, making the numbers apples and orages.

If I had to guess, eliminating all other variables, the '73 360 would be much better since it had similar compression, similar heads, more cubes.

If I had to guess, eliminating all other variables, the '73 360 would be much better since it had similar compression, similar heads, more cubes.

I'll agree - but from driving both in my car they stroke difference makes it have more torque. So the 360 wins - but because of the longer stroke IMO

I'll agree - but from driving both in my car they stroke difference makes it have more torque. So the 360 wins - but because of the longer stroke IMO

There you go- a first hand experience based answer. :)

OP, are we assuming a 2bbl on both? I believe you could get a 4bbl on a '73 360 but I could be wrong...

.....................and the only thing you would need to put that 360 light years ahead of the 318 is a little mild cam and a 4bbl.

Are we talking a......

1973 Heavy Azz big bumpered,parrot nose Dart Sport
VS
1968 light weight 318 Dart

Might have to take the 318 Dart. I think it will be closer than you think.

Or are we talking a 318 vs 360 on the dyno ?

a 1973 360 or
a 1968 318

Not much to go on there? Both stock and 2 bbl? Is one of them filled with sludge? A good built 318, bump up the compression, some mild head work, and a cam with a 4bbl vs. a bone stock 360 2bbl.........lots of variables that can not be answered without info.

Are we talking a......

1973 Heavy Azz big bumpered,parrot nose Dart Sport
VS
1968 light weight 318 Dart

Might have to take the 318 Dart. I think it will be closer than you think.

Or are we talking a 318 vs 360 on the dyno ?

Ouch! :D

He's not talking about a Dart since he specifically said 1973 360.

318 Dart meet BB Belvedere

images

Not much to go on there? Both stock and 2 bbl? Is one of them filled with sludge? A good built 318, bump up the compression, some mild head work, and a cam with a 4bbl vs. a bone stock 360 2bbl.........lots of variables that can not be answered without info.

Si

Mostly true, however that saying is like 30-years out of date. The replacement is called "volumetric efficiency".
That saying is never out of date. Never will. You can have volumetric efficiency in both engines & the 360 would be that much better. Every 318 lover out there likes to put up an argument for the 318 that with a cam & some head work & a good intake & headers blah blah blah you can make more power than the stock 360. Well it isn't gonna cost you any more to do all that to a 360 & you'll definitely make more power doing it! They act like the only small block parts out there only fit 318 & 340s.

360 all the way!!

that saying is never out of date. Never will. You can have volumetric efficiency in both engines & the 360 would be that much better. Every 318 lover out there likes to put up an argument for the 318 that with a cam & some head work & a good intake & headers blah blah blah you can make more power than the stock 360. well it isn't gonna cost you any more to do all that to a 360 & you'll definitely make more power doing it! They act like the only small block parts out there only fit 318 & 340s.

360 all the way!!
exactly

We have a hundred or so 875 hp 360's at the shop. But R5 stuff might not be a fair comparison, haha. Hp numbers between the two won't be that different, but the 360 will make the power at lower rpm and you'll feel it better. Gear up the 318 and they'll feel the same. You will have to give more info on the car, but holding all other factors constant, the 360 will feel more powerful

it is going to be put in a 68 barracuda........
just checked the 360 it might be locked up wouldn't turn over

it is going to be put in a 68 barracuda........
just checked the 360 it might be locked up wouldn't turn over

Well I did ask for a little more info. Just did not think it would be that little. LOL

How about a lot more info?

Just trying to help.

-
Back