which is harder...trans or engine swap

-

rdb

Reaction score
Still trolling for the right '64 Dart GT convert, to make like what I had in the early 70s. A repaint to the color I had is no prob, but it has to have a really good black interior. So I see some w/ v8s, and most are pb automatics. But I want a slant 6 and manual trans. So it could be a question of swapping a trans or an engine... people I have asked say the trans conversion is the easier/cheaper job, so hold out for one that has the slant 6 -- as many did.
My GT was an odd one cause it had 3 on tree, which was mainly in the 270 and 170 series. Were most of the 4 on floors only found in V8s?

Also have seen a possible one that has some rust on top of front fenders and a little around rear quarter panel wheel area. Is this the usual scenario -- a little visible rust means a lot of unseen rust?

thanks,
RB

either one will be a piece of cake ...a lot of early A guys here with the parts to make any combo conversion.

member 66340sedan has the whole show 3 speed setup from a 66 and there are many more members with parts ......as for the actually installation ...with the right parts, it will all go together very easy.

Where at in MD are you located. I'm in SoMD. If you are in need of the 3spd trans, and steering column, I have a 63 Dart 170, Slant car, with Super 6 3 on the tree. I'm in the process of putting my TKO-600 and 5.7 Hemi in the car, so I don't need any of those original parts. I'm willing to trade a steering column from a 64 with floor mounted manual. Hit me up with a PM, as I can tear the car apart at anytime. I can meet you anywhere in MD.

The trans will also come with the Drive shaft, as it will not be needed for my new combination.

... Also have seen a possible one that has some rust on top of front fenders and a little around rear quarter panel wheel area. Is this the usual scenario -- a little visible rust means a lot of unseen rust?

thanks,
RB

Yes. They usually rust from the inside out, because the factory did a poor paint job on the inside of the panels, and that is a place where trash & moisture collect. Search photos here and you will see rust horror stories, mostly from Europe and eastern Canada. Rust around the fenders and lower doors is typical, and the 1st place. After that, the C-pillar and rear window goes, then the front cowl which is very hard to fix, finally the frame rails (usually terminal). Don't think a Mopar thing. 60's Mustangs seem to be worse, and earned the name "Rustang". I would say 70's Jap mini-trucks are the worst. You only see them now in SoCal.

In many cases, I think people would be better to get a rust-free CA or AZ car and drive or ship it East. That would take less time than a year of patching rusted metal. Of course clean & paint the hidden areas before rust starts. I saw a nice 63 Valiant for $800 on cl a week ago, w/ almost new interior. Just needed the fusible link fixed.

Thanks for the info everyone. When I saw a few that looked right, I didn't have the money. Now I have the money and nothing looks right. But the consensus seems to be engine or trans swap no big deal (for the person who knows what they are doing) So far I have bought a set of hubaps, service manual and owners manual. That's a start!

Check Las Vegas or Phoenix craigs list. There was a 64 convert not too long ago. It has been for sale for a while and pops up every few months. The one in Phoenix had a real nice body and I think ran and drove, but the top and interior was toast. I think the price was around 2K. If you are serious you can make a deal. I got my 2 door post 64 for $1800. He wanted $3500. When I went to look at it I had the money and trailer with me. The car was all there nothing missing and was driveable. The worst part of buying out here is how to get it home. Shipping costs a fortune. I have one guy that comes out from PA that buys a truck,trailer and the car he found,takes them back east then sales the rig for cost or he makes a few bucks and the transport of the car is just his time and fuel. Just a thought.

Attachments

• Copy of IMG_1682.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 175
I have a steering column out of my 65 Dart it was a 6 cylinder / 3 spd on the tree, manual steering. I took it apart to check for any wear. I have everything to put it back together. PM me

Check out this one on Las Vegas craigs list. Posting ID #4023846145 updated 9-11-13 It is listed as a 65 but is clearly a 63 Dart convertible. Nice body. Bullhead City AZ is about 80 miles from Las Vegas.

Thanks for the info. I routinely troll CL... the few national searches work ok, but not as well as they could because CL is trying to put them out of biz.

Right now, only one seen that is even a possibilty, and haven't even seen the interior.
CL ads are always short on pix.

Won't be getting any parts till a have a car. May take a while since I am holding out for something really specific but there's no deadline on this.

-
Back