Which is stronger?

-

moparduster

Reaction score
Im in the process of building a 8 3/4 for my dart. its has a 489 case and i was wondering if it would be better for me to go with a 10 spline or a 29 spline pinion. thanks

From what I've read the 10 spline would be stronger. Same with an 18 spline input shaft on a manual trans being stronger than the 23 spline.

So why, when it comes to axles, is a 35 or 40 spline axle stronger than a 28 or 30 spline axle?

Wylde1.

More splines = more surface contact area = stronger.

As far as whether one is stronger than the other, that's not the weak point in the rear ends. It's not something to be concerned with. If you have a 10 spline run it.

This is like worrying about having a 741 case vs the other two. The weak point isn't the bearing diameter.

I agree with Crackedback I am reading a good book right now High performance Differentials, Axles & Drivelines by Joseph Palazzolo

that is what he is saying the more spines the stronger it is.
he says that a 35 spline axles are 62% stronger then an 30 spline axle.
I know that is axles and not the pinion gear. but i would think is the same.

More splines = more surface contact area = stronger.

As far as whether one is stronger than the other, that's not the weak point in the rear ends. It's not something to be concerned with. If you have a 10 spline run it.

This is like worrying about having a 741 case vs the other two. The weak point isn't the bearing diameter.

X2

ok point / counter point. Which socket and bolt head provides the best drive ?
Square, 6 point, 12 point. The difference is in the lost motion. Square will accept a lot more wear before stripping than any others.
In other words square would give you some severe clunks and still drive.
Wear happens eventually in any. More splines is more contact and the wear is spread over a higher number of smaller segments.

-
Back