Which Kevco pan as Birthday gift?

-

Tess

Reaction score
First post here in a while but need some advice. Hoping my son doesn't read this!

We have a great little 340 stroked 380 ready to drop in. Had to dyno it with a stock pan due to time constraints on the builders end. No windage tray or baffles. Don't want to drop the engine in with a stock pan so I've been studying Kevco's website and much of what is written here on FABO.

This Dad/son project is a 69 Valiant post car that will be street driven to shows/meets as well as a few weekends at the strip. We expect high 11's out of her at approx. 6500rpm.

Please guide me in selecting the best pan for this application. I've listed 3 potential Kevco pans as primary choices:
M301 "Stock Location"
M201 "Sportsman"
M201PP "Sportsman Pouch Pan"

I'm mainly concerned with oil slosh on hard acceleration (lots of that no doubt :D) and getting the oil level as far from the rotating mass as possible.

I also peeked at I/J crank scrapers and find that an interesting option, so please feel free to direct us.
Thanks in advance to all who reply!

I have no direct experience with the pans listed, but I would expect header and k member clearance issues with the kickout sumps. And rear sump pan won't work with factory suspension. The m301 would probably work good but, as with any aftermarket pan, expect to do a little trimming on the k member.

Run the 301, no trimming or anything required on 67 and up cars that I've seen them in.

The 201 pans will not fit a car without a different steering linkage set up, rack, etc.

get a hold of Mike from MRL
he should be able to tell you

I bought a Kevco pan once and returned it. It looked like a kindergartener welded it. Hope they are better now. Milodon makes nice stock depth road race style pans with excellent oil control.

I run the 9" deep straight down Canton 15-900 pan for 7 quart system capacity. I would think the m301 kevko would require trimming k frame

we use the 302 which is the same except for 360/ magnum which is what we install. no trimming k member or any issues at all. they have internal baffles. if you pm me i will take a photo of internals for you tomorrow when we open. deals for fabo...

I bought a Kevco pan once and returned it. It looked like a kindergartener welded it. Hope they are better now. Milodon makes nice stock depth road race style pans with excellent oil control.

if I never buy a milodon product again it will be too soon
I had one on my duster, and it was a nightmare

ill sell it to you if your interested

Like mentioned the 201's will not fit, they are Rear sump and are for non stock K frames. The 301 is the best pan on the market for the $$$$ for SBM. They control the oil very well.

Thank you gentlemen! That's some good advice from experienced people...and that's what I hoped for.
Mike from MRL thanks for chiming in. I saw one of your website descriptions of a recent build where you mentioned the difference a certain oil pan made to the final numbers. I'm assuming that was a Kevco!

One more thing...any of you suggest a crank scraper? I'd like to consider all options before we button up the pan and drop the little beast in.

I use the M302 on my dirt track car and it works real well. It dose have a small crank scraper attatched to the side of it and I do not use a windage tray for that reason. I think for mostly street with a couple of track days the pan as is will work just fine. don't forget the matching Pickup they do offer a High volume pickup that is not listed I have not used one yet but intend to get it with my next build.

I agree Milodon is a company in the dark ages...But, my road race pan is pretty trick. I modified it to accept a 1 piece silicone gasket, and it is dry and provides good oil control on the road course.

-
Back