Which master cylinder has the screw-on caps?

-

'74 Sport

Reaction score
Much to our dismay, the lid on Aaron's M/C has been slowly leaking fluid down onto the firewall and has eaten some of the paint off. I got a new flashy chrome one and it leaks some too.

So, is there one of those newer master cylinders with the screw-on lid, rather than the lift-off lid held with the wire bail, that is a direct bolt-on for his Dart Sport (manual front disk - rear drum)? Any modifications necessary?

One other thing... the brake light stays on constantly. I'm guessing it's a problem with the proportioning valve. I know the emergency brake switch is OK.

Jerry

Jerry, I think you need an adapter. Look into MP brakes or a search here. I know I seen this just the other day. I need to do this as well.
(9 inch drum to 11.75 disk swap as well as a leaking master.)

[/QUOTE]I'm guessing it's a problem with the proportioning valve.
If not;

The brake light switch is located under the dash. Follow the brake pedal up to the switch with a wire. There a pain to take out of the holder, not to bad to re-posistion to get the lights working when the pedal is applied.

magnumhp.com or mancini racing carries the adapter you will need. Magnumhp's master cylinders have a machine groove that will retain the pushrod (safety factor) that many remans dont..

I bought the adaptor and went to Autozone and got a MC for an '87 Dodge 3/4 ton truck with manual brakes....bolts right up and stops better that ever.

GoodysGotaCuda;
Magnumhp's master cylinders have a machine groove that will retain the pushrod (safety factor) that many remans dont..
As in retain the stock drum pushrod? Theres a difference in length right?

Dusterb318, do you currently have manual brakes?

I picked up an aluminum M/C with two screw-on caps today at my local salvage yard. It came out of a New Yorker and has these numbers on the bottom: 09104 4485297

Anyone know if it is one that will work, assuming I get one of the 2-bolt to 4-bolt adapters? It seems as though the two chambers are approximately the same size. Which one is for the front brakes? It was dark, and I didn't have a flashlight to see where the brake lines ran.
icon3.gif

Jerry

I guess I'm not really clear on this, either. With the aluminum M/C and the adapter plate, will I still use my old push rod? Also, what about using the old distribution block?

Jerry

-
Back