Which Master Cylinder?

-

MopaR&D

Nerd Member
Reaction score
I am installing '73-up front disc brakes on my '70 Duster and need a new master cylinder. The car is originally a manual disc-brake car and I want to keep it manual; RockAuto lists several ones that all look different than the one in it now, namely the reservoirs on mine are different sizes but most of the ones on there are equal.

Get one from 83 dodge truck it has a bigger piston don't remember the part number but it is a two bolt.

AWESOME thanks guys, I'll get the one in the link... rdakota340 wouldn't a bigger piston increase pedal pressure? I'm not really looking to change it from stock as I could lock up the wheels if I really wanted to before and I liked the way the pedal felt.

The casting # for a 73-74 non-power disc brake master cylinder is ....

3580146 which is the 1st one listed on the the Wagner list on the Rock auto site.

3580112 is for power disc brakes.

It's basic hydraulics, the larger the master cylinder bore in relationship to the caliper and/or wheel cylinder bore, the higher the pedal pressure and the shorter the pedal travel. Generally installing a larger bore master cylinder than what is needed gives you a raised pedal pressure and the resulting shortened pedal travel makes pedal modulation more difficult. Good pedal modulation gives you finer control of application pressures, resulting in a better ability to keep from locking up the brakes unnecessarily at heavier application pressures and better control of wheel lockup at the limit.
While arbitrarily going up in master cylinder bore size from stock without a respective increase in the bore size of the caliper and/or wheel cylinders is probably not something you want to do as a rule, going down on master cylinder bore size slightly will help reduce pedal pressure at the expense of more pedal travel and give you more control over modulation. It also allows drivers of slighter stature to work the brakes without fatiguing as quickly, especially without adding a power booster of some sort.
Different manufacturers have guide lines for how much the pedal should be above the floorboards, but the key is getting a master cylinder that reduces pedal pressure and will still lock the brakes up firmly without letting the pedal get dangerously close to the floorboards.
If design considerations (size and type of the wheel brakes, size and weight of the vehicle, distance to the floorboard, etc.) don't allow the pedal travel needed for a particular bore master cylinder in your situation, then a larger bore master cylinder must be used, even if some sort of booster is needed to reduce pedal pressure.
If you liked your stock one, replace it withthe same.

I was thinking along the lines of that already; my brakes felt good before and gave me just enough modulation, I could maybe even use a bit more. I don't feel like I really need a bigger-bore master cylinder... What I really need is an adjustable proportioning valve, so I can make my front wheels lock up before the rears which I think will get me way more stopping power.

It's basic hydraulics, the larger the master cylinder bore in relationship to the caliper and/or wheel cylinder bore, the higher the pedal pressure and the shorter the pedal travel. Generally installing a larger bore master cylinder than what is needed gives you a raised pedal pressure and the resulting shortened pedal travel makes pedal modulation more difficult. Good pedal modulation gives you finer control of application pressures, resulting in a better ability to keep from locking up the brakes unnecessarily at heavier application pressures and better control of wheel lockup at the limit.
While arbitrarily going up in master cylinder bore size from stock without a respective increase in the bore size of the caliper and/or wheel cylinders is probably not something you want to do as a rule, going down on master cylinder bore size slightly will help reduce pedal pressure at the expense of more pedal travel and give you more control over modulation. It also allows drivers of slighter stature to work the brakes without fatiguing as quickly, especially without adding a power booster of some sort.
Different manufacturers have guide lines for how much the pedal should be above the floorboards, but the key is getting a master cylinder that reduces pedal pressure and will still lock the brakes up firmly without letting the pedal get dangerously close to the floorboards.
If design considerations (size and type of the wheel brakes, size and weight of the vehicle, distance to the floorboard, etc.) don't allow the pedal travel needed for a particular bore master cylinder in your situation, then a larger bore master cylinder must be used, even if some sort of booster is needed to reduce pedal pressure.
If you liked your stock one, replace it withthe same.

X2 what he said.
I have a MC i got from mancini without doing enough research, it's 1 1/8 bore makes driving a big pain in the leg with manual brakes. going with a smaller bore MC after i get some other more important stuff done on my car.

-
Back