Which mechanical fuel pump for 360

-

nrp3

Reaction score
Which mechanical fuel pump should I buy for my magnum. I have converted the front to the older style water pump and pulley set up. I am using a 380hp crate motor cam so nothing too radical. I just want something that doesn't interfere with the water pump and has adequate flow for the job.

A carter high volume mechanical pump seems to be the recommendation.

See if Mullinax95 can give you a specific part# but he's happy with his.

I bought the Carter M6902 for the SB stroker I am putting together. It seemed to have the most volume out of the street fuel pumps I looked at.

Ok, I bought one (6902). It clears fine, but what should I use for fuel line to the carb? Did you change the clocking of the openings? Is there a barbed fitting that threads in for the line to the tank?

Never had to change the clocking. Clearance is close in places using steel fuel line cause it's hard to bend but nothing hits. I used a 90 elbow to an adapter to 3/8 brake line up to the carb. Bending the brake line wasn't real easy but it makes a neat installation. You can get barbed fittings if you use regular hose. Ace has them. Some auto supplies have them too. Did the best I could at taking some pics of my setup.

BTW: Ignore that crappy looking chrome alt. bracket that's already starting to rust. Cheap Chinese junk!

Carter makes a great pump.
But in all honesty I run a stock fuel pump and have 5 1/2 psi with my 340 and I don't really need more than that to spin it the 6800-7000 that I do.
Do you?

Good photos. I'll have to look for those fittings. Were they all hardware store items or auto parts items. I think I have the 3/8 flare tool. Have to look.

I think that pump is only rated for around 6 psi.

Carter makes a great pump.
But in all honesty I run a stock fuel pump and have 5 1/2 psi with my 340 and I don't really need more than that to spin it the 6800-7000 that I do.
Do you?

Good point. It all depends on the hp and cubic inches as to what your needs are. If your running a 273 or 318 that only makes 300 hp but still spins to 7000 a stock pump is fine. If your running a 408/416 that makes 450+ hp and spins to 6500 your needs are much more.

Good photos. I'll have to look for those fittings. Were they all hardware store items or auto parts items. I think I have the 3/8 flare tool. Have to look.

I think that pump is only rated for around 6 psi.

Thanks, Yes I got all the fittings and brake line at NAPA. NAPA usually has a real good selection of fittings. If you buy a pre-made brake line it has the flare and fitting on one end to you don't need to flare it. I bought a line a few inches longer than I needed then cut off one end after I bent it and that's all that was needed.

So you know the specs on that 380hp crate motor camshaft?

Did you buy the extended snout and all that stuff for the roller camshaft?

Steve

It has the old style snout on it so no extension needed. The cam is P4876348 380hp cam (288/292 and .501/.513).

-
Back