Which one to use on my 72 Demon?

-

kzcountry

Reaction score
Which one should I use to put a 340 6 pack in my Demon and why?

20220423_200325.jpg

20220423_200350.jpg

Both have their pros and cons. What are you wanting to do with this car?
Since it was a six cylinder car drive and have fun. Putting 15 inch tires, disc brakes, 5 on 4.5 wheels and maybe a 518 trans or 727/904. Just to have fun.

Depends what other related parts you have for each one- each uses their own specific anti-sway bars and therefore lower control arms; motor mounts obviously, among other things.
All else being equal, use the one that's in better shape.

The sway bar set up on the spool mount K is much better. The bar runs through the K frame which improves ground clearance and keeps you from using the sway bar or mounts to find parking blocks. The factory sway bar allows for larger front tires than the biscuit mount K style factory bar, although if you use an aftermarket sway bar that’s not as big a consideration. And the mounts themselves for the sway bar are better on the spool mount K.

The spool style engine mounts can’t tear apart like the biscuit mounts can, although you can buy aftermarket biscuit mounts that won’t separate. On the downside, with the spools you can’t really shim the engine mounts to move the engine a bit if you need header clearance somewhere. With the biscuit mounts adding a shim to one side or both to move the engine a little is easy.

For me the sway bar mounting difference makes the spool mount K my preference, but I use large aftermarket sway bars and wide front tires.

I prefer the spool mounts. Some people dont like them but I cant think of a single reason not to use them. I have had plenty of biscuit mounts break but the worse you will get with a spool mount is some sagging.

-
Back