Which option for most improved pwer delivery?

-

TimDart

Reaction score
Hi guys, thought i'd check some opinions.
My Dart runs a mild 360 with 9.0 compression (at best) cam is 262 grind
(218/224@50) and runs thru open 3.23 rear end.

Which of the following options do you think will bring the most improvement and get me into the 13s?

a) KB107 pistons to get 10.0 comp + 268 comp cam grind

b) Change the convertor out to a 2200rpm stall

c) Change rear end to 3.55 with suregrip (used on the stret a lot so, no deeper gears)

d) Leave as is and bolt ona set of drag radials!

All of the above is possible, but cash flow requires incremental improvement:thumbup:

Gears and converter...something in the 3000 range and it will feel like a whole new car IMO. That would be the cheapest and easiest with out diving into the motor.....drag radials will help especially if you a smoking the tires of the line but your suspension needs to be working correctly for any tire to hook like it should.

Thanks for the quick reply. The convertor has to come out as I need to replace the auto front oil seal. Isnt 3000 stall a little high given the modest duration of the cam?
The rear has new gas shocks and mono springs from Calverts. Leaves rubber if i jump on it, can't get better than 14.3, but i'm new to drag racing.

3K is too high for those gears. You may like the acceleration, but the respoonse and cruise will be spongy for a street car. I would up the cam to the EX268, and buy a set of smaller diameter slicks. Not worth changing gears for 1/3 of a rotation. Really, I would have thought you'd be close to 13s now. How far away is it?

Difficult to say how far away 13s are. My 60 is slow (2.25 at best), but i simply cannot launch the car with the stock convertor. I'm going to swap in a new convertor and if i fit the 268cam, i'm thinking of a 2,200 stall speed. Maybe a TCS unit as i've heard that they are good. Happy to leave the rear end at present as here in the UK, third members are difficult to find.
Regular racers i know seem to think 13s should be available without breaking the bank.
Appreciate the opinions, keep 'em coming:thumbup:

If you go custom on the convertor you can have your cake and eat it too,it will drive fine on the street and flash at the strip.From my experience over the counter convertors are a crap shoot at best regarding performance and reliability.

Gosh, I'd say all three would get you where you want to be, and end you up with a pretty reasonable combo. Since you are gonna have the trans out, start with the converter. Unless your bores are really fresh, new pistons will probably have to wait until rebuild time. If you pull the engine for the pistons, do the cam then.

-
Back