Which part is it?

-

4mulaSvaliant

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals of FABO!

Hey I have to move my car to a real shop so I can complete my Body work and paint it finally!

Problem: It wont start!

So here is what I DO know:
I rebuilt the ignition switch (thread:
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=90253&highlight=IGNITION

Last time it was starting, it seemed as if the contacts in the switch were the issue.
I say this because it would only start as I let off the key from the "start" position.

It seemed like when it was in the start position while holding the key turned all the way to the right, that it was sitting on a "dead" spot in the switch.
Only when it was released and maybe passed over a clean part of the contact, did it catch and fire up.

So because of this theory...... I pulled the switch and took it apart again. I found that all the di-electric grease I put inside had turned grren and slightly solidified.
I cleaned it all off and took light sand paper to all the contacts again.
Put it back together and nothing still.

So here is what happens. See if you can help me to find the issue.

I can crank the engine over and it just wont fire up! have not had time to check for spark yet, but I have a feeling there isnt any. I think this because Im using starting fluid and it WILL always atleast cough and try to fire when using Starting fluid. It isnt giving me anything.

Coil is new.
Voltage reg. is new.
Ballast resister is new.

Could the Module be "interupting" the run signal from the ignition switch?

I really think that something is interupting the "run" position of the ignition switch.

Like I mentioned before, just as I would let off the ignition switch to stop cranking it would fire. It wont even do that at this point but that was the only way it fired up when I parked it last.

This is why I figure it had to be the switch!

Help me here FABO!!!
Thanks all!

If you know the continuity through the switch is good, lets look elsewhere. To get 12 volts out of that switch and to the ignition circuit you must first get 12 volts into it. Could be at the switch harness connector, bulkhead connector, etc... Like a next weakest link. That's my guess.

-
Back