Which primer for enamel paint

-

adam83

Reaction score
I have some Bill Hirsch engine enamel I'm using on my engine. The directions say that on cast iron parts, the paint can go on directly without primer. But, when painting smooth surfaces like oil pan and valve covers, that it's a good idea to use a primer.

I have some of their high temp silicone based primer for exhaust. I called their customer support and they said it can be used as primer for their engine enamel.

Now, I've never used a silicone base for an enamel paint, and the guy that I talked to on the phone didn't exactly sound enthusiastic about his suggestion, so I'm a little nervous about it.

I have some vht engine enamel primer as well... which primer would you use? The engine enamel primer or the hi temp silicone primer? If something else, what?

I had considered epoxy, but didnt know if it could stand up to the heat.

I talked to Southern Polyurethane, gave them my application info, and they said their epoxy would work, so epoxy it is.

If it doesn't work out, I recommend POR 15 engine and manifold paint. Has held up very nicely for me and I brushed it on everything other than the valve cover.

I talked to Southern Polyurethane, gave them my application info, and they said their epoxy would work, so epoxy it is.
SPI epoxy primer is great! I use it on all my stuff. The good news is, if you put it on one day, you can spray your color coat the next day without having to sand the epoxy. Just tack it off and spray. Mix the epoxy as a sealer, per their instructions, spray it with a 1.4 tip and it will give you a slicker finish on your valve covers and oil pan. If you need a spray gun, the Harbor Freight purple gun will work awesome for what you are doing. Good luck....and post a pic or 2 when you get it done!

:thumbsup:

The epoxy will last longer than the enamel!

-
Back