Which radiator for a 440?

-

FISHBREATH

Reaction score
I have been diligently acquiring parts and stripping the '68 Cuda. I want to ask you big block guys what radiator you run in your big block A-bodies.

I know that Chrysler offered the 383 and 440 with the A-body, but the old radiators were only single cores and that multiple core radiators did not appear until 1970, is this correct?

I want to run air conditioning and manual trans. We need the air conditioning here in Southeast Texas (I do not know how I survived school in Daytona Beach with my non-AC '68 GTX) 40 years ago.

Do you guys prefer Mopar or aftermarket radiators? Also, how difficult is it to find appropriate radiator hoses for both types of radiators?

Thanks. I will keep my eyes peeled for responses.

P.S. I tried doing a search but I wasted a lot of time trying to find answers to my questions on previous posts.

If it's not a restorartion, I highly recommend a crossflow style radiator. They are MUCH more efficient. Griffin sells some very reasonably. Only minor mods and its in.

The maker escapes me at the moment, but I bought an aluminum crossflow radiator off EBay for under $100. To my surprise, it was made in the USA and appears to be of good quality. It is a "generic" unit, I will have to mount it myself, (very easy on this one). You just pick the size, and where you needed the inlet/outlet. Good luck.

Thanks, Guys, this gives me someplace to start looking.

Keep in mine most aftermarket aluminum radiators are only 2 row cores, but those rows are 1" wide, so they will cool just as good as a 5 row core brass/copper core.

-
Back