-

1973dusterkid

Watch This
Reaction score
1.) Go wider not thicker ;

2.) Fan shroud ;

3.) 7 paddle viscous fan ;

4.) H.D. fan clutch .

You can't go wrong with the O.E.M. (or close to it) cooling system , as used on cars with Axle Packages , towing package , or a/c .

The first one (the 26" wide model) is the one to use .

A "Clutch" fan will actually save power vs. a (cringe) Flex Fan , as the fan will freewheel when it's not *needed* , and turn faster than engine speed when operating temps raise .

1973,that flex fan will cost you between 5 to 15 h.p.Go find a clutch fan off of a A/C equipped mopar at the junkyard,or put an ad up in the trader ads here.

1973,that flex fan will cost you between 5 to 15 h.p.Go find a clutch fan off of a A/C equipped mopar at the junkyard,or put an ad up in the trader ads here.

this is a really big point that i forgot about! DO NOT BUY THE NEW MP ONES!!! they fly apart at 4-5K rpm and there are lots of threads about it... we have taken the original aluminum ones over 7K and never an issue...

this is a really big point that i forgot about! DO NOT BUY THE NEW MP ONES!!! they fly apart at 4-5K rpm and there are lots of threads about it... we have taken the original aluminum ones over 7K and never an issue...

wow...thats kind of disturbing to hear...I bought my MP viscous fan unit from summit about 3 years ago...it regularly sees 6500 rpm...all the time....I thought it was happening to the older units...fatigued metal, incorrect size mounting hardware. etc....?

wow...thats kind of disturbing to hear...I bought my MP viscous fan unit from summit about 3 years ago...it regularly sees 6500 rpm...all the time....I thought it was happening to the older units...fatigued metal, incorrect size mounting hardware. etc....?

the new ones have a sticker right on them that says 4000 rpm MAX...

notice i did say aluminum ones though... some of the AC and BB cars had aluminum 7 blade fans... thats what i would use...

im using a 26" 2 core ($40) , fan shroud ($5), and 7 blade clutch fan ($10) all out of an 86 lebaron in my 73 duster , its all i can do to get it hot.

..standard clutch fan spins at 70% pulley speed when engaged.
heavy duty is about 80% pulley speed
you may run a little warm in traffic with one of these units depending on your cooling system.
flex fans flatten at speed and reduce hp requ'd to turn them but have a bad rap.
some newer ones are guaranteed to 7000 rpm.
anybody have one of these newer units fail?

1973dusterkid -

Shameless plug here -

I am also a dealer for Champion. I sell their 3-row radiators for $199 + $25 shipping. The 2 Row, I sell for $155 + $25 shipping

PM me if interested. I can send you a Pay Pal invoice

im using a 26" 2 core ($40) , fan shroud ($5), and 7 blade clutch fan ($10) all out of an 86 lebaron in my 73 duster , its all i can do to get it hot.

Was this all a direct bolt in, or did you have to cut up the car to get it to fit?

-
Back