Which School is better

-

1973dusterkid

Watch This
Reaction score
I would say Wyo Tech. They offer way more in the fabrication aspect than UTI. I have worked with a couple of kids that attended UTI and they really were idiots. Un Trained Idiots.

I would say to check your spelling first. You can't imagine how important the first impression is:) never mind.....you spelled it right, At least my wife says so:)

"then go to Italy or Germany to work on Lambo of Ferries etc"

You don't need to got to Italy to work on ferrys.....

I think they are both a joke who prey on young kid's dreams and take their money. :)

I think they are both a joke who prey on young kid's dreams and take their money. :)

Thats what I hear too. Not to mention they are usually wayyyy more $$$ than a comunity college. I would say to go for you Associates of Applied Science in Automotive at a local community college.

805MoparKid went to WyoTech and he said he liked it,and also landed a badass job when he got out so.....

I don't think it matters which one you go to. Here's the deal:
Get into a tire shop like Goodyear or Firestone and put in a year or so.
Next go to the specialty shop of your choice. Porsche, Ferarri, Lambo or ??? and be Very persistent. Ask them what to do to get hired and do it.
Keep going back until they hire you. Don't give up and stay at the tire shop even if they move you up to A-tech status.
You are going to be happier and make more money working on a high end import car but you will need to have your S%$T together.
I made way more money once I moved to a Honda dealership and stayed there for 5 years+. Good Luck

It would be nice if those schools could teach someone how to think on your feet. My best mechanic got his education fixing trucks "in the sandbox" as he calls it.

A friend went to Lincoln Tech and is a the lead Tech at a Chebby dealer in SC.....you will no doubt here "success" stories from any Tech school, just have to take them for what they are worth. My buddy put his time in, breaking his ***. Good paying jobs don't just appear on your door step because you went to a school somewhere.....

Im planning on going to lincon but out of those two wyo tech

Dude I personaly think uti is a joke I went to a community college and went to C.A.P (chrysler apptrenticeship program) and got my AA in automotive. The best part about this is I went to school for the brand I wanted to work for and it only cost me seven G's instead of 40,000 and learned just as much as they did. Plus I here there is a lot of theory talk at uti and not so much hands on.just remember if u go the community college route u will still have to take regular classes but it's worth it imho. Plus ford and gm usually have programs to but im a mopar guy so I went to chrysler. I also started at a dealership while attendimg this program and most dealerships are flexible with u when your going for there brand.

I went to uti in Illinois in 1994 and graduated in 96. At that time the school was not put together very well. I think it has gotten much better. most people who go there no absolutely nothing about automobiles. There was a guy who added antifreeze to his battery because he thought it would freeze during winter! nice!! I wouldnt go to uti. I went the other way and have been working for Wisconsin Lift Truck as a forklift tech for 15 years now. Lead tech for many of them! Good luck on your schooling! Jared

Dude I personaly think uti is a joke I went to a community college and went to C.A.P (chrysler apptrenticeship program) and got my AA in automotive. The best part about this is I went to school for the brand I wanted to work for and it only cost me seven G's instead of 40,000 and learned just as much as they did. Plus I here there is a lot of theory talk at uti and not so much hands on.just remember if u go the community college route u will still have to take regular classes but it's worth it imho. Plus ford and gm usually have programs to but im a mopar guy so I went to chrysler. I also started at a dealership while attendimg this program and most dealerships are flexible with u when your going for there brand.

Good advice here! Also if you get your AAS in automotive,it will help you with other jobs if you decide you dont like doing the automotive thing,since its a college degree.

It's clear to me that community college is the way to go. You may not want to take an English or history class but you should anyways. Why, they will teach you to write. If you want to do anything other than turn wrenches you'd better be able to write clearly. I don't think Wyo or UTI will teach you anything about communication.

I remember when I finished my degree in history I was unsure if I wanted to to teach or not (ultimately became a teacher, but that's another story). My next door neighbor was the service manager for a John Deere Dealership, in Long Beach Ca. (All Construction equipment, no agricultural equipment). He knew I was handy with a wrench and hired me to do the 250, 500, and 1000 hour services on the dealerships rental fleet of equipment. Worked there three years before becoming a teacher, went from the guy who checked machines in and occasionally changed the oil to a real mechanic. Learned a lot along the way. The most important thing I learned is that most dealerships TRAIN their own employees. Sure they would like to hire someone who knows everything but guess what NO ONE knows everything, so even mechanics with 25 years of experience need to go to school every model year to keep current.

Further, UTI and Wyo charge the same tuition as f-ing Harvard and Yale. They both charge between 30K and 40K per year. Sure you're probably eligible for government financial aid, which MIGHT cut that in half but you'll still come out of a two year technical school owing twenty thousand dollars.

:wack:

Go to a community college to learn the basics, get your AA degree, that shows you can stick something out and learn simply for the sake of learning, At the same time get yourself a part time job at a tire store and begin collecting tools and experience. By the time you're 22 you should be able easily get a job at ANY dealership you want to work at and your total cost will be less than 10K.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

My son went to UTI. I would recommend Wyo Tech. UTI does not have enough "hands on". He got a 3.9 GPA and not very much wrench time. I was dissappointed that I wasted my money on a school that did not teach him all that he wanted to learn.

I would go with Wyo Tech or a coimmunity college. Comm college would be much cheaper.

Those tech schools are terrible investments. They charge a fortune for an inferior education, if you can even call it that. Go to a community college, it's a lot cheaper; and besides, that's where all the girls are anyway...

i dont mean to "hijack" here but has anyone heard anything about their "street rod" and "high performance" programs? i know this thread was started with just mechanics in mind but i was looking at wyo tech for those programs, or The Hot Rod Institute in SD. im already getting a degree from a college (long story) but i want to go to one of these schools when im done there, so the whole english and history classes and such really deter me from a comm college, as im already doing 5 years of that stuff ('nother long story lol)

thanks
-marc

Thats what I hear too. Not to mention they are usually wayyyy more $$$ than a comunity college. I would say to go for you Associates of Applied Science in Automotive at a local community college.

805MoparKid went to WyoTech and he said he liked it,and also landed a badass job when he got out so.....

hey thanks for the mention...

so i'll ad my bid...

if your like most of us and have alot of auto knowlege under your belt already then i dont think a tech school is for you... (first 6 monsts will be a touch up)...

though i learned alot in Tranny land...

any ways i was always more focused in the Fab/motor building parts of the school...

High Performance Power Trains or HPPT is a great class... you learn everything from how to do the math for sizing a turbo to building and dynoing a class car...

Chassis Fabrication you do alot of welding for the first month... you learn MIG/TIG on 1/8 and 1/4 in materials, all types and angles of welds...

now for my project i did my AWB car but you can do roll cages and frame work... Etc

then Street Rod!

now if you into the more artistic side of the car world then this is the class... pin striping, custom paint, and sheet metal fab...

you learn english wheel, mig and tig on sheet metal (way different than the thick stuff!)

all and all i would say i would have done it again... if you can move past the BS of kids who are there cuz mommy said so and keep after YOUR goal its great!

i might be biased though as i got a AWB plymouth out of it lol...

You went to school in Hollywood?:D

haha no...

you start out in Auto I then II...

then you go over to "tranny land" where you rebuild a 4t65 trans and run it on a trans dyno... also rebuild a manual and t case...

Of the 2 schools I'd say Wyo Tech. I've worked with a few guys out of UTI.... Like most have said, they were pretty much idiots, but they got into dealerships. I went to a community college and I knew a lot more than they did. I never went through a specific course like C.A.P. but the school I went to did/does offer it. I ended up going into to high performance engines/machine shop direction. If you want to go for a specific manufacture and work at a dealership, go where they offer the program for that manufacture. If there is more than one option, go for the cheaper one. It seems that it doesn't matter which school you go to. If you go through their program it's going to open a door for you.

Have you ever considered the military? With this economy now, it might be a very good choice. Not only will they teach you mechanics (diesel, turbine, jet, piston) but they will send you to college on the GI bill (you can even do it while you are in, either on base for a degree, or night school off base at the local community college) or save it and afterwords, use it to subsidize a tech school. Army was only a 3 year commit last time I checked (5 year inactive reserve or be smart and go active reserve and use that time toward a 20 year retirement at 48...) Its not for everyone, but I would recommend it to anyone, male or female. And you can go in guaranteed contract, no more going in as a cook and coming out as a grunt, just make sure you are signing what you want for and ask plenty of questions...and lay off the pot 6 months prior. You dont need that **** anyways. Navy has some excellent tech schools, Marine Diesel is always in demand.

-
Back