Which set-up do you like better? Pics

-
i like the stock style but i may be a little biasis..lmao..

120552869.jpg

Wow,
Just got home from work,cant believe all the responses !!!!!

Some have asked about the finish.
First I had the air-cleaner sand blasted.
Then I used Krylon wrinkle paint.I was a little aprihensive at first since I have never used wrinkle paint.It ended up coming out pretty nicely.

As far as performance,I cant tell much difference either way,though the open element would probably flow better if tested on a dyno.

Thanks again !!!!

I like the looks of #2 best. How's the sound of it? Any differance? Both are pretty free flowing. Would expect not much difference in the overall performance to be much different, especially at idle to 6K rpm. If you go to the track this spring, test it with both, and let us know of any changes.

If you go to the track this spring, test it with both, and let us know of any changes.[/QUOTE]

Will do !!!!

Havent really noticed any difference in sound.

Just ordered the 340 pie tin.
Probably should of asked this when it was complete.Will drop some pics when I get the tin.

Johnny Dart said:
I just finished restoring the 340 air-cleaner I bought from a FABO member with the factory wrinkle finish.Still need the 340 pie tin.

Just wondering which set-up you guys like better?

#2 - and congrats on changing the glass fuel filter to a metal 1 .

I have a low profile chrome air cleaner with the 440 magnum vintage pie tin.

th_DCP_3779.jpg

I like # 2

Johnny D......Nice nice job on the wrinkle paint! I like that look the best. I was just about to re-paint my 340 air cleaner with the wrinkle paint but was reluctant to do so since my buddy did his with a wrinkle paint from a body shop and it didn't turn out very good. Hardly any wrinkling and quite blotchy. I will try the Krylon product. It looks great! I've already got mine sand blasted and ready to go. Some more details for success please:
1. Did you primer first?
2. How many coats of wrinkle paint?
3. Is just the lid done from the factory or is the entire bottom half of the air cleaner wrinkle painted as well?
4. Do you use a heat gun after the paint application top promote the wrinkling?

Thanks for any additional info you can provide.........

I have always liked chrome..but its a ***** for daily driving and polishing. But you gave me an idea...I got the new wrinkle MP valve covers so I may copy :tongue9: and change my air cover to match the valve covers.
:wav:

1. Did you primer first?
2. How many coats of wrinkle paint?
3. Is just the lid done from the factory or is the entire bottom half of the air cleaner wrinkle painted as well?
4. Do you use a heat gun after the paint application top promote the wrinkling?

Thanks for any additional info you can provide.........[/QUOTE]

1.No primer
2.The can says to do several coats.I ended up doing two.
3.As far as I know,the top and bottom was wrinkle painted.I didnt paint the inside,or bottom around the carb.
4.Didnt use any heat other than the warm Cali sun.The can has all the answers for application.

When I painted the air-cleaner I put the top on bottom.Set it on top of a bucket and painted away.The Krylon worked real well.

Hope this helps.
John

Well, I'm not all for the stock look. BUT if it were mine I would go with the stock. I think chorme looks good but only on a dark car. If car is a light color go dark on the accessories. just gives a little contrast. just my .02
Jeff

I liked your idea, so I change my chrome lid to match the Valve covers. Not too bad looking with the open element. :blob:

DSCF0001.JPG

69signetv8 said:
I liked your idea, so I change my chrome lid to match the Valve covers. Not too bad looking with the open element. :blob:

i think that will really look good once on the motor..

now that's more like it johnny. the pie tin makes all the difference. sweet.

Johnny Dart, my vote is for the factory HIPO air cleaner. I have the same air cleaner on my 1970 Dart and I love it. All I did was stripped the old paint off with some spray stripper, then used black wrinkle finish paint, 2 heavy coats. It turned out awesome! I even got a 318 Four Barrel pie tin for it!

Thanks Dave !!!!!!!

69signet:That should look killer on your car !!!!!!

-
Back