Which single plane intake?

-

MB43

Reaction score
It's time to ditch the dual plane (Edelbrock Performer RPM) on my 360 and go with a single plane.

The question is... which one?

Mopar M1?
Weiand X-CELerator?
Edelbrock Super Victor?
Edelbrock Victor?
Edelbrock Toker II?
Mopar 5249614?

Here's the specs on the motor: http://www.burwoodboysracing.com/about_the_car.htm. I haven't updated that in a while, that cam is out and a Lunati Voodoo 234/242 @ .050 .513/.533 lift cam is in it's place.

I like the victor with a 1 or 2 inch spacer, hard to beat it.

When i ran my 416 on the dyno i found a old holley strip dommenator worked the best. Belive it or not the victor was to big for the 416. sure it made 20 extra horses at 6700 but torque was down 40lbs across the rpm range. I also ran an x-celerator and it was very close to the holley. I tried a super sucker 1 1nch tapered spacer on all manifolds and it helped alot. Stay away from the victor if its to big for a roller cammed and ported 416 its deffently to big for a 360.

What kind of times are you running with your current setup??..as far as single planes go, the Air Gap dual plane,test have shown flows just as good and better then some..

keep in mind,the M1 has no fitting for heater hose if you still drive in any kind of weather that you might need heat,defrost

Mike, I thinhk with your cam and gearing I would stick with the RPM. If you had more gear, say 4.30s or lower then I would consider the M1

His car is a RACE car and isnt driven on the street. I would pick the M-1.

Did you click on the link about the car. Cam is a 216-226 @ .050 Crane. Thats not no racing cam.

9.5" stall converter ? Why so loose for a cam that could take a stock converter.

The RPM cam Eddy says to use is 232-240 @ .050, that seems big but I just swap from a single plane Holley Street Dominator to the RPM. My idle is smoother and low speeds is much better but after 4000 RPM is has lost a bit of power. The RPM intake like made my Comp HE 268 cam seem smaller. So it seems like that intake loves a big cam.

Here are the rpm ranges for some of the more popular single-planes (perhaps it will help with the decision):

Mopar M-1 2600-6600
Edelbrock Torker II 2500-6500
Edelbrock Victor 3500-8000
Weiand X-CELerator 1500-7000
Holley Strip Dominator 4500-8500

If you need part numbers, feel free to ask.

Here are the rpm ranges for some of the more popular single-planes (perhaps it will help with the decision):

Mopar M-1 2600-6600
Edelbrock Torker II 2500-6500
Edelbrock Victor 3500-8000
Weiand X-CELerator 1500-7000
Holley Strip Dominator 4500-8500

If you need part numbers, feel free to ask.

I noticed awhile back the RPM range of the Weiand intake with the RPM is starting at 1500 and going to 7000. I first saw it on a stroker 360 here recently and went on the internet to check it out.

Wouldn't that be a all around good intake for street and strip compared to the others?

Here's the specs on the motor: http://www.burwoodboysracing.com/about_the_car.htm. I haven't updated that in a while, that cam is out and a Lunati Voodoo 234/242 @ .050 .513/.533 lift cam is in it's place.

@dodge freak - I changed the cam last year.... see above.

@340srule - the best it's run so far has been a 12.16.

@prodart340 - I don't drive the car on the street, only on the track It lives in the garage during the cold weather.

I have a M-1 on my 340 and really like it. I run it on the street and it works great. I have a Isky .505 lift cam, Holley 650 DP, Supersucker 1" carb spacer, 4.10 gears and a 4-speed. The only thing I hate is you need to grind out 2 spots on each valve cover (where they meet the intake) so they will seal the gaskets up tight. The lip that wraps arount the gasket interfears. I don't run a heater, but you could always tap a hole in the manifold and run one. I have not run my car at the 1/4 mile track yet, but this intake sure screams to 6800 RPM!

Picture 009.jpg

Mikelbeck,hows that Lunati cam,i ran the .494/.513 2 seasons ago with GREAT results,i'm currently running the .533/.552 cam in my stroker and love it..What do you go through the traps at..You might want to step on on the gears too,like say 4.30's,is that picture of your car from e-town? do you go to the Atlantic nats in May,we never miss it...if its possible try the Air Gap,i think you'll be happy with the results...Dave

Mikelbeck,hows that Lunati cam,i ran the .494/.513 2 seasons ago with GREAT results,i'm currently running the .533/.552 cam in my stroker and love it..

Lumpy. ;-)

I picked up more than a tenth by putting that cam in over the Crane that was in there.

What do you go through the traps at..

Without mufflers, around 112. With mufflers, 107.

You might want to step on on the gears too,like say 4.30's,

Once this rear (8-1/4) blows up I'll put in an 8-3/4 or Dana with bigger gears. I don't want to mess with this one, though.

is that picture of your car from e-town? do you go to the Atlantic nats in May,we never miss it...

Yep, that's from E-Town. I've gone a couple of times to the Mopar Nats, I don't remember if I went last year. I don't think I did.

if its possible try the Air Gap,i think you'll be happy with the results...Dave

Better than a single plane?

I don't really want to "try" different intakes to find which will work best, I was kinda hoping people who had a similiar combo to mine would give some input as to what they're using and what's working for them. I've seen some articles about how the Air Gap comes close to a single plane, but would that be best for a race-only car?

The air gap will show very little gain if any over the RPM. They have the same runners, same height. Only difference is the gap and lack of heat cross over. That would be a waste of $300

The Magnum Carte motors have a cam about the same size as yours and run the M1. But I think the M1 or any other single plane is going to want more gear and a looser converter.

Its an old piece. Theres better out now for sure. I have one on my 360 and if it wasnt milled .060" to fit I would trade you for your RPM.

The RPM cam Eddy says to use is 232-240 @ .050, that seems big but I just swap from a single plane Holley Street Dominator to the RPM. My idle is smoother and low speeds is much better but after 4000 RPM is has lost a bit of power. The RPM intake like made my Comp HE 268 cam seem smaller. So it seems like that intake loves a big cam.

Update, only had the intake on for 3 days now, today I removed the 3/8" open spacer I had on it and the motor seems to make more power everywhere. Funny, I tried jetting it up at first and that did not help but its so cold here in Michigan now-but streets are clean-I thought my carb needs all the heat it can get. I do have the exhaust heat open, helps keep the spark plugs clean and it only takes power away after the temps outside go over 80. I tried before blocking the exhaust heat, up here in Michigan its more problems then helpful.

Maybe the rpm is fine, you can always swap a few intakes and sell what you don't like on E-bay.

Mike, if you want to try a TorkerII 360, I have one on a shelf good to go if you want to try it out. Let me know. F.O.C. to try.

Ok... so what's the final answer here? Stick with what I've got?

i run an M1 on my combo, but used to run an air gap while I was footbraking the car. I do agree that without a transbrake your car may not like a single plane intake, unless you can get a 9" converter and mabey 3800-4200 stall speed. I have heard good things about the super victor though. Never even thought about switching intakes on my combo, I am very pleased with M1. I do think the air gap is best I ran 11.44 in my Demon @ 3500lbs car and driver with street trim with air gap and 750 carb.

Lumpy. ;-)

Once this rear (8-1/4) blows up I'll put in an 8-3/4 or Dana with bigger gears. I don't want to mess with this one, though.

Better than a single plane?

I don't really want to "try" different intakes to find which will work best, I was kinda hoping people who had a similiar combo to mine would give some input as to what they're using and what's working for them. I've seen some articles about how the Air Gap comes close to a single plane, but would that be best for a race-only car?

I wouldn't wait until your current rear end "blows up"! If you strip the ring & pinion or break a u-joint, it will likely take out the trans also! Not only internally, but if severe enough, destroy the case too.

I believe the M-1 and Strip Dominator are very similar. They do have less plenum volume than the Edelbrock single planes. If you do try one, a 4-hole or tapered 4-hole spacer may help, after dialing in the jetting, squirters and pump cams. The older dual planes should work pretty well, LD 340, Weiand Stealth, as well as the newer PRM's. But not haviing too radical of a combo, I'd suggest a dual plane even if it is strip-only.

-
Back