Which ss spring to use?

-

g49bridges

Reaction score
Hey guys, on my 74 duster I have moved the springs in 3'' and have 275 60 15. When I launch hard and theres a passenger in the car(yes, its a street toy) my passenger side will squat enough at launch to rub the tire on the inside of the fender. These are old springs and feel like they are wore out a little. I'm not worried about how rough the ride is...it's just a toy and I don't do long trips in it. Looking to get new springs, but rather than have it lean with 002 and 003 springs, I'd rather run either 002 on both sides or 003 on both sides to keep it level. Which spring is going to give me more height? I know the passenger side is taller when sitting, but wondering if is squats more than the driver side, which if that's the case, running 2 drivers side springs might work better. Anyone have any input on this?

I have 2 of the drivers side springs on my car with 255 drag radials. not too high and sits level

IMG_20160811_103614196.jpg
IMG_20161015_182304704.jpg

Hey guys, on my 74 duster I have moved the springs in 3'' and have 275 60 15. When I launch hard and theres a passenger in the car(yes, its a street toy) my passenger side will squat enough at launch to rub the tire on the inside of the fender. These are old springs and feel like they are wore out a little. I'm not worried about how rough the ride is...it's just a toy and I don't do long trips in it. Looking to get new springs, but rather than have it lean with 002 and 003 springs, I'd rather run either 002 on both sides or 003 on both sides to keep it level. Which spring is going to give me more height? I know the passenger side is taller when sitting, but wondering if is squats more than the driver side, which if that's the case, running 2 drivers side springs might work better. Anyone have any input on this?

Yep, that's the side that does it. I use the 2800lbs SS springs in both my 3700lbs A-Body and in my 3800lbs E-Body. I did add and properly adjusted some old school slapper bars to the car to help with spring wrap. I am running a 1" drop block with them.

They work awesome and only slightly stiffened the ride. It's the best rear suspension set-up I've ever tried on either car. Dr Diff recommended it to me.

The springs are rated for the weight of the car.

The springs are rated for the weight of the car.

Yes, that was the original intention for a Super Stock car on a smooth race track.

Over the last 3+ decades, I tried to find a suspension set-up that worked, rode well on the street and road courses and held up to the rigors of 500+ & 700+ horsepower. I tried several variations of SS leaf springs including mono-leaf Caltracs. They results were a brutal ride, constrained compliance over road imperfections, less traction on non-smooth roads, but decent performance on a smooth track.

My quest for a balanced spring rate for a street/ strip car continued for years. I tried both the 3700lbs SS springs and the 3400lbs SS springs, and both were brutal on the road and so stiff the cars actually spun way more with them than the much lighter 2800 lbs SS springs with slapper bars. The ride of Caltracs was brutal as well, but the car launched well on a smooth surface.

In frustration, I sought advice from Dr Diff, aka Cass. He knew from experience about the high spring rates, and advised me to try the 2800 lbs springs. I thought no way, the spring rate numbers are way off. I'm so glad I listened, because now I have the perfect spring rate for a car that is 1000 lbs heavier. I never would have tried them without his advice.

There is one caveat with this formula though. The lighter springs can not control the spring wrap in high torque applications by themselves. I tried a pinion snubber, but that essentially locks up the movement of the rear suspension while stopping the rear end nose from rotating upwards. This results is a brutal ride quality and a nearly ridged rear suspension that's great on a smooth track, but unusable on the street.

Knowing I had to do something or I was going to bend the front spring segment, I bolted on a set of properly adjusted slapper bars with 1/2 the rubber snubber cut off. (Before I put slapper bars on my '70 E-Body, I did end up bending the passenger side 2800lbs SS spring, and had to replace it.) I had to cut and weld the bar mounting perches to get the rubber snubber positioned directly under and just touching the front spring eye. Once I set them up like this, the car launched harder than ever, was compliant on the open road, and I knew I had finally found the holy grail of Mopar rear suspensions. A smooth compliant ride, the perfect rake and better traction than anything I have experienced in over 3 decades of searching. I will never run anything else. The path was long, but the difference is epic...especially with a pair of proper length quality shocks like Bilsteins or Koni's.

JohnRace2 (Large).jpg

Last edited:
Trial and error, the old school way.
Been there done that and I actually enjoy it still.

Thanks

-
Back