Which SS springs do I have?

-

SGBARRACUDA

ROY
Legendary Member
Reaction score
So my 68 Barracuda has SS springs on it. I can tell by the way the car sits higher on the passenger side and the fact that they are stacked different left to right. But I can't find a number on them? I'm not sure if I have 863/864 or 002/003 springs. Is there a way to tell? I want to change out one side to make it sit level. Thanks for your help.

Real SS springs are stamped with a number somewhere.

Well actually the car has a a RMS front suspension with coil overs, but I'd rather get two equal leaf springs rather than compensate for the rear leafs.

Mine are marked on the bottom of the leaf assembly, rear of the axle. They should be stamped.

Uhhhhhhh yes. That is what was designed into the leaf system. By increasing the loading on the left front you are proportionally increasing the loading on the right rear, which tends to cancel the torque reaction of the rear axle, as it attempts to bury the left rear and LIFT the right rear under acceleration.

You have zero clue how the Mopar suspension is designed to work. With SS springs, the car is supposed to sit unlevel at rest in the rear so that it launches straight. It's all covered in the Mopar suspension book. Through nine different updated editions and almost 50 years.

I am aware of the design and have used then in several race cars for more years than most have been alive on here. I want my street car to sit level, not looking to improve my 60' times.

I am aware of the design and have used then in several race cars for more years than most have been alive on here. I want my street car to sit level, not looking to improve my 60' times.

we did jack up the left front torsion bar on our old s.stock hemi car , it helped the right rear up thing a little, but more importantly it preloaded the right rear even more. this was back in the day, when we didn`t have enough tire for the car too. jfyi

I know you do. I was referrin to that other feller.

Well I found the part number stamped on the left leaf spring. I have 003/002 Springs. Thanks to everyone.

We made a spacer for the right side on my SS springs. Maybe not the most brilliant idea, but it works for me to level the car & didn't cost anything but time...:D

Attachments

• Spacers 001 (Small).jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 131
I have a brand new set of 002/003.....maybe we should trade one side for the other, that way we will either have both lefts, or both rights.

Interested?

I have a brand new set of 002/003.....maybe we should trade one side for the other, that way we will either have both lefts, or both rights.

Interested?

Maybe we can do that. Mine are brand new also. There on the car but it hasn't gone done the road yet. I'd like the left side if possible. I think is the 003 one.

One turn in the left front bar will level it. Take that urn out to race it. Same springs I have with 892,893 front bars

-
Back