Which Starter?

-

srduster340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Just installed the 414 stroker in my '71 Duster with TTI headers. I have a 440 Source mini starter that hits the header & will not fit flush against my Quicktime bellhousing. Which starter are you guys using or how do I fix it? Can I "pursuade" the header to move a little without damage? :banghead: Thank my brother for scratching up my $600 headers!

Attachments

• IMG_20120417_133201(1).jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 286
  • starter pic..jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 299
Any Mopar starter from '89-up on the 3.9/5.2/5.9 should be the same. Plenty in the yards, just be sure to grab one with the heat shields still on them- they really work and a lot of times shops just popped the reman's in w/o transferring the shields (and they aren't available from dealers anymore from what I've been told)

Looks like you need a McRobb Performance starter. I needed one for my 65 Dart TTI Headers. Nice unit,fit's great,clockable piece. The footnotes on the TTI site should say which starters will work.

you should NOT need that McRobb starter, MAYBE on the early A's, but definitely not the 67-up A bodies...I have TTI's on my 318 with that 97 dakota starter, in a 68 cuda and have ZERO issues, with clearance.

Went to the junkyard and compared a '99 Durango starter but found no differences. I will try an earlier one this weekend. I'll keep everyone posted.

Looking back, a dakota, etc starter doesn't have that solenoid. 93 318 starter should be great.

Got the starter in. I just needed to unbolt the headers and install the starter first. I know I'm an idiot. :eek:ops: Now I have another problem. The freakin' starter bolt holes do not line up. WTF!!! :banghead: Should I elongate the top hole to make it work?

Attachments

• starter pic 1.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 199
  • starter pic 2.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 205
  • starter pic 3.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 199
  • starter pic 4.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 209
Ok. Got my starter issue figured out. The problem? Had it in the wrong hole! Hey, there was no hair around it! Lol. But, I did have to shave down the solenoid stud & nut to clear. Now I have to worry about the rubber cover melting. Is it ok if a flexible heat shield touch the header?

Attachments

• starter mods.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 196
man.......that is so weird you are having these issues....I have the same setup, almost....a smallblock, in a biscuit motor mount style k-member, (not spool motor mount) with TTI headers, and a starter from a 97 dakota 5.2.....I have not had these issues.........???

I have the 1 5/8''-1 3/4'' step headers....are you using the 1 7/8" headers???

uhh, no nose cone support? wow, that looks like a really shitty setup...

Got it figured out. Thanks for the input guys. I'm wiring the car up now.

man, you should bitchslap your brother for gouging those sexy headers.

I have had the same problem before... no hair around the hole

-
Back