Which style alternator do I need?

-

2fine69s

69 340-6pak Rag Top
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I am ready to purchase a new chrome alternator for my project. 1969 Dart with a repo wiring harness through out the entire car and do not want to cut or change any of the wiring, I want a true bolt in place and correct wiring chrome alternator. What amp, style and brand do I need to buy?
Thanks,
Martin

Define "correct" If you want it to look like a 69 you need a 69/ earlier so called "round back." If you can stand the look and want better low RPM performance, buy the later so called "square back."

Now "round backs" were also used for the first few 70-71?-72? until the squareback came out, BUT Mopar added a second brush holder, so isolated field. You can use this, or a squareback, just ground one field terminal if you are using the 69/ earlier regulator

The caveat is, that many sleezy rebuilders MODIFY the older 69/ earlier alternators to convert them to isolated field (incorrectly called "dual field") What they do is to drill the case and install a second brush. These are INFERIOR

On the left, below, is a 70's "squareback." These only came in isolated field. On the right is an original 69/ earlier "roundback" with one grounded brush, at lower right between the two diodes at about 4-5 o'clock

mopp_0112_05_z+alternator_and_regulators+replacement_alternator.jpg

Below is one of my favorite photos. This is an original 69/ earlier "roundback" which had been "hacked" by a sleezy rebuilder, and then converted BACK to grounded brush

The original isolated brush is at left at 9 o'clock

The original grounded brush, which is in place, is at the bottom at 6 o'clock

The "hacked" position for the second, added (missing) isolated brush is at the top at 12 o'clock

One REALLY big thing wrong with these is a --three things-----

Using a 'hacked' one on a mid 70's car gives reduced low RPM performance over an original squareback

The "hacked" brushes gave far more trouble, and often shorted, meaning if they were hooked to the regulator wire, they gave full unregulated output, and if hooked to the IGN wire, they often melted the ignition harness

AND you can easily find cases where they came "out of the box" from a sleezy rebuilder with ALL THREE brushes in place. This gives the same results as the paragraph above.

128306-500-0.jpg

Man thats some great information! I really appreciate you taking the time to be so detailed in your descriptions. When I ordered the repo under hood harness, I ordered it with electronic ignition, and it does have the two plugs for the double field alternator, so a square back is what I need. Any Ideas on how much amperage and what brand of chrome atlernator is best? Ive seen alts listed at 100 or more amps, how much is too much?
Thanks,
Martin

No, I don't. The thing is, in "original speak," and this is no longer true what with aftermarket, AKA "Powermaster, etc," and the quanity, not quality, "parts store rebuilds," but some LOWER max output Mopar units, (46A?) actually put out more at lower RPM than some higher maximum rated units.

If you have not, read this:

http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/amp-gauges.shtml

which gives some insight into bulkhead connector problems.

Also you don't always NEED a huge 100a unit, unless you've added a bunch of "stuff," electric fans, etc.

I can't begin to tell you how much this wiring information has helped. All Mopar heads should read this link.
Thanks again,
Martin

-
Back