which TIG welder

-

abdywgn

dismantler
Reaction score
been looking at HTP's mig,tig and stick welder. the smaller versions do not seem to be as efficient as the larger one.so who has one they use and really like?off the top of my head,1/8" would be the thickest I'd be using but it never hurts to have a little more amperage in reserve...at least that's my way of thinking.used would be nice but I'm concentrating on new unless someone is willing me one!

PM me if you have any specific welding machine questions. I work for a welding manufacturer and can interpret the specs of any machine for you. Believe me there is a lot of misleading information out there.

I have not kept up with "all the TIG technology" but some of these small "switching" (transformerless) machines are DC only which means you cannot weld aluminum with 'em.

PM me if you have any specific welding machine questions. I work for a welding manufacturer and can interpret the specs of any machine for you. Believe me there is a lot of misleading information out there.

In my opinion, you should keep this "on the board." That's what this board is FOR, to provide info to people who can learn from it. PMs don't provide that avenue.

If you have the power and don't want to move much. Pick up used Lincoln or Miller transformer type. I have older Miller econo tig which I picked up cheap. It is an AC/DC machine but limited to what it will do. I like the HTP but $2500 and still need a argon tank and rods and such so $3000 is what you will spend. Step up to a new Miller Dynasty about $6500.

In my opinion, you should keep this "on the board." That's what this board is FOR, to provide info to people who can learn from it. PMs don't provide that avenue.

Agreed 100%, Del. Just look how many people the recent alternator thread helped. That's what it's all about.

Personally, if you have the scratch, I love the older, non digital, Miller Syncrowave 250's.

You can sometimes find them for about $1500 with a watercooled torch set up. Got more than enough oomph to weld most anything a hobbiest will want to do including some decent sized aluminum.

I have ye old econoTig and it's pretty good machine for what I do most of the time.

That unit is DC only. Won't be able to weld aluminum with that. If that's what you want I look at miller or Lincoln.

That unit is DC only. Won't be able to weld aluminum with that. If that's what you want I look at miller or Lincoln.

Yup and for that kind of money you should be able to buy a used "real" brand, meaning brand names like Miller, Lincoln, Hobart, and a couple of others.

Beware of "big box" store Lincolns. These are NOT the same internally as one sold by a "real" welding store, and the comment, in fact is sadly true of a number of items, including such things as John Deere garden equipment.

I've had a Lincoln Invertec 205 AC/DC for a while. It's too expensive to be a hobbyist type machine but it will weld anything of any thickness i will ever use. Just remember with TIG you also needs lots of accessories and different consumables as well as different gases depending on what you are welding. I'd suggest looking for an older used machine. They will be bigger but more economical and still get the job done.

Good luck!

thanks everybody! guess it's time to find "dad" and ask him what he has available or can find. (BTW-it's my adopted dad).

Check out the Miller Diversion 165, it's AC/DC and can weld 3/16" thick for about $1400 I have one, it's a great machine.

you may want to consider a Millermatic 211 with spoolgun. It is not a tig but should weld anything you need. I really am impressed with mine. I reworked my trackhoe bucket and it did a great job. Will weld 3/8" with one pass or 18 gauge. I haven't had time top try the spoolgun with Aluminum yet. Check ebay I think they have a 15% off going on.

Not a big fan of aluminum spool guns(squirt gun for surface welds that will crack out when stressed!) that's what they use for mass production docks,pontoon boats and anything else the want to turn out quick!. You really need a machine that has at the minimum AC Hi Frequency.I will use argon for light aluminum with a red (pointed 1 1/2 times diameter) non thoriated tungsten to keep my arc wander down to a minimum and for heavier casts or flanges I'll use a helium argon mix or (straight helium and avoid any preheat!) I welded with green/ pure thoriated tungsten for years with the big old ball on the end but have since become been a big fan of the red lately as I like to control my arc as to were I want it! Oh yes my machine, an old Miller Syncrowave 250 but you can get by with a lot less machine than that.

I have an eastwood tig 200 and and it is awesome, but havent used it for metal yet.

I have a ESAB 252. It is made in America and it has more quality than my skills will ever use.

I bought a syncrowave 180 miller off ebay for less than a 1000. Had less than 100 hours showing on the meter. Works great for aluminum up to about 3/16. The duty cycle is not that great if welding for long periods; however, it does great for a home shop.

syncrowave 250 is the best bang for the buck. It tigs , sticks welds and runs a spool gun. also spot welds. 4 in 1

Before I got my Miller 211 I was looking at tigs and esab has some nice ones but what I liked best about them is they are located in South Carolina, they offer a 100 day no question asked return for your money warranty which beats the crap out of the others. That's in addition to the regular 2 or 3 year warranty.. can't remember which it was. Anyways, I decided on the 211 from Miller simply because my lws had one about a week old that they had sold but the guy paid with a bad check, sold it to me with extra tips, 2 spools of wire, 120 tank for 900 out the door.

-
Back