Which timing cover??

-

wigsplitter74

The Mopar Kid
Reaction score
What would be the right timing cover for a 70 340 motor? Should the timing marker be on the driver or passenger's side?? We got one with the motor but it doesn't have the indicator on it at all (wtf?) Thanks.

A 70 should have it on the left side (drivers) basically the opposite side of the lower hose.

But make sure you have the correct balancer for the cover you use, they are different

For 70 and up small blocks the timing marks should be on the drivers side. And as mentioned in another post make sure your balancer has the mark to line up with the drivers side. If the balancer is the wrong one, you can always re-mark it with a paint stripe to line up.

As for your current cover not having the timing marks cast in, that leads me to believe it is a 68 or older cover. In 68 some of the small blocks used a timing tab that was bolted to the two bottom water pump bolts. I think sometime in 68 they started to use the passenger side cast in marks.

Sweet, I have a spare one of those. This might be a dumb question but how do I tell if it's the right balancer for the driver's side tab?

Put number 1 cylinder at top dead center and see if the marks line up. If they do then its the right balancer.

The only thing I can add is that if you're doing a original restoration make sure the one you use is the '70-77 type. The seal installs in from the back side. The later ones can be installed from the front. The only real appearence difference is the casting number but if you get a picky judge.....
Mark

-
Back