Which timing light should I buy?

-
I've always used an old Actron or Penske timing light on a couple different race cars of mine. They had a 6-AL or 7-AL-2 and never had a problem. But I had degreed Fluiddampr on them.

I've made a interesting discovery. No advance timing lights are believed to work with MSD. The multiple spark confuses most all lights and gives them inaccurate advance readings. The old Mac Tools lights were believed to work but I don't know how or why. Those lights haven't been made for years. I believe they were once made by Actron but those lights haven't been made for years. MSD has 2 lights available on their site but they are not advance lights. They recommend a standard inductive pick up light and a marked balancer. I have sold and personally used a Innova light like #5568. It is a electronic advance with tach and voltage features. It is a bit confusing to use but very accurate. The dial advance lights I have had issues with. The dials can come loose from the advance switch and cause the readings to be many degrees off. Another good feature to look for is a metal inductive spark pick-up with detachable leads. The plastic pick-ups will melt against manifolds and headers and if you melt the leads or damage them in the fan, they can be replaced without having to buy a new light. Most new lights have replaceable leads. Summit Racing has quite a few Innova lights and are reasonably priced. They even offer the replacement leads for $21. Good luck. toolmanmike

Using the older MAC light(dial back..) ,you sent me parts for. The older Snap on dial back analog lights ,work as well. Used (& still use...), on an older 6A box, have used both on 6AL boxes as well.

It must be the cheap Chinese circuitry in the new ones. LOL

I have the Matco MTL500, Works fine on crane boxes but have not tried it on msd yet, It has metal inductive pick up.

-
Back