Which timing set?

-

JAndrea

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm building a strong street 383. I have no plans to do any strip runs, though it sounds fun as he!! so who knows. BUT... I'm trying to build this thing right.

I bought a standard timing chain set, and will be degreeing the cam (comp cam Xe274h, 21-224-4) to make sure all looks right, but am now wondering if I should have bought a crank gear with more keyways than just the three??

(Multi-keyway pic just an example pic)

IMG_5055.JPG

IMG_5056.PNG

Last edited:
Researching/learning more about cams has taught me that my cam card tells me what a I need to know about the initial advance/retard state of my cam grind. My lobe separation is 110* and my Intake Center Line (ICL) is 106*. Which translates to 4* Advance, which is right where I want to be for my purposes. So I'll install the cam gear on the "0" keyway, and line up the other "0" in the 12 O'Clock position (dot to dot). No need for more keyways on my cam gear at this point.

I'll degree it to confirm.

As long as everything is made right you don't usually need anything more than you have. I have only had one time where things were way off. It was due to a cheap built Pete Jackson gear drive on a BB Chevy. It was 14 degrees off.

As long as you can get it where you need it, you don't need any more slots than that...

-
Back