Which transmission?

-

sabre67

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Im putting a 383 in a 71 duster, the car has 3speed automatic with buckets and factory console and a 318. my question is which torqueflite trans do i use to retain my factory shifter and consle? Does the trans need to be out of a factory floor shift car or can you adapt a colum shift trans to work? Thanks

It's all in the brackets and linkages.
With the exception of cable shifted pushbutton mid 60's transmissions they are all the same within reason.
Reason as in a big block trans and a smallblock trans will not interchange.
You probably would be looking for a big block 727 trans.

Hey, welcome to the site, I see from your postal code you're over in Port Alberni, I'm near Parksville.

As for your tranny, I believe there's a special tab it needs on the side for the floor linkage.. Maybe someone can provide a picture.

The tail housing must have the tabs on the bottom for the bracket (look at your small block trans to see what it looks like). You need a big block 727 with those tabs (cable shift units should not have them and only one year, 1965, cable shift trans has a slip yoke output). It's that simple.

ok thanks for the info guys looking forward to this swap and ill be chaging rear end too

-
Back