Which would be smarter

-

Birddog1

Reaction score
i am currently building a dart and looking to spend money wisely. So I am shopping for drivetrain components. I want a car with good drivability and good pickup also.
Option 1. Spend money on built 360 with my 904 and tall gear for drivability or.
Option 2. Spend money on OD trans conversion less expensive rebuilt 360 with 3.55 or 3.73 gear.
Will the better rear gear make up for a lower hp motor. Or should I stick with a high hp motor and 3 speed auto, with a 2.76 rear.
Thanks for the info.

My 2 cents.What and how much driving are you planing to do? I have gone round and round with the same question as you.Your location pretty flat? Speed limits at or above 65? For me within 3 miles from home they are 65 to 75 mph.If I were to drive the car daily for many miles then OD would be high on the list.COST wise I would consider the 2.76 plan(this is what I have done)I'm cheap and it fit my budget.When you say "High HP" I want to take it as that is where you want to spend your money.Build plans that will make a well rounded performer that works with the final drive ratio be it OD or Direct with 2.76.

What is a high HP engine?
That will often mean increased cam size, which in turn means a higher operating rpm range that often includes a lack of low end torque. Which makes driving a hwy geared car a real PIA!

If such is the above... then I choose opt.2 and NO it will not make up the difference. But opt.2 lends itself better for future mods to the engine. As well as flexablity to the car and it's abilities.

Option 2. Personally I wouldn't even think of building a car without an overdrive trans. If you plan on driving it, then plan on driving it in this century. Nothing burns my *** more than seeing muscle cars sounding like they're doing 150mph holding up minivans and Hyundais. I laugh when people say it turns Xrpm's @ 60mph. Where do these people live that 60mph is even remotely acceptable. Every weekend I have to deal with the car show guys and the idiots driving to Island Dragway. They spent ungodly money on these cars and they are about as practical as a model A.

An overdrive with a stock motor and steep gears can be more fun than a whole lot of motor, easily.

2.94 or 3.23 gear.

Easy to find, and noticeably more low end than the 2.76 but only marginal impact on MPG/driveability.

Personally I wouldn't even think of building a car without an overdrive trans. / Where do these people live that 60mph is even remotely acceptable. / Practicable as a model A.
I agree, an OD should be in the plan for most people. But they will do there cr there way.....

What's the states min. speed allowable by law on the Hwy./Free way? Here, it's 55mph. Though routine traveling speed is 70moh, the min. Allowable speed is 45 on any expressway. But that's here.

And people still drive the model A and T cars to shows. Thankfully not on the speedways. Smaller Hwy. route are chosen and the A & T care do manage a respectable speed.

I have a set of 3.55's in my Magnum. There not to bad on the Hwy. I do not know the RPM's I'm doing on the Hwy. I do notice the gas consumption difference if I use the left lane only though! LMAO! I just go with the flow in the slower lanes. I would not want to use a higher ratio on the Hwy. myself. Or at least for any length or ta me or distance.

My 383 Super Bee with 3.55 was not a problem on highway trips.

My friend's 340 Challenger with 3.91 gears was.

-
Back