Which would you choose for an intake?

-

cmorrow

Reaction score
I have some how gotten bumped out of the intake I wanted in another posting, but found a cast iron, intake from the mid 80's it has been gasket matched. Would this be too much for my stock 88 roller cam 318 with headers, and auto, using either a 600 or 750 carb with vacuum sec. have both.
Now, should I wait and look for a iron intake a 70 340, is this much better then anything made in the mid 80's, I'm now also thinking that a LD4B might be something that would be good?
My Duster will only be a cruiser, I will add a cam next summer. I bought the car without a drivetrain, I want to drive it this fall a little then possibly strip it apart for restoration.
Thanks,
Chris

Usually you can find an Edelbrock performer 318/360 intake fairly cheap. That would be an excellent intake for your engine. As for the carb I would run a 600. Is the cast iron intake a local sale and is it gasket matched for 318 or 360 gaskets? If it is matched to 360 gaskets it would not work well at all with your 318 heads.

Thanks, I had wondered about the difference between 318 and 360 and the gaskets.

The OE iron intake has only one draw back. It's heavy.
The Edelbrock has the smart ports. It should fit (port size wise) better but may not be a perfect match ethier since head port windows through out the years change in size. Core shift also comes into play. The mismatch of the 318 vs 360 is not as bad, performance wise, as some people think & play it up to be. Gasket matched or not.

Performance wise, I would suggest ether intake as a good choice for a 318. Depending on your goal, what your doing exactly, you'll do fine with ether intake.

You can save coin with the iron intake and be able to step up the power program later with port matching the heads to the intake when you do the cam change. Bowl porting is a great plus with 360 sized valves in addition. You'll end up with a really nice power return. The 318 head can be port/gasket matched to the 360.

Any iron intake will do though I would suggest an earlier unit so you do not have to spend time on plugging up EGR holes inside and outside the intake. If you have an EGR valve on the outside, just install it and leave it. Do not hook it up. No vacuum line to it. It will remain closed with no vacuum. The intakes floor has 2 holes to be plugged. No biggie.

The '70 intake is better only because you need not do anything as describes above. Just bolt on and go. The TQ works best on a street strip ride. If you haven't tried on yet, make sure you get the small primary (1.38) carb as early of a year as you can get except the first year.
Just make sure it is in good shape and properly set up before use and use a thick basket under the carb like the factory did.

I like the LD4B better than the performer.

We took a performer off my son's 71 Valiant and replaced it with an LD4B, and it ran better and no bog/hesitation off the line.

The offy dual port dual plane intake is also good for a street driver, but restrictive over 5000 rpm, which is not a problem with a street driver. Look at this thread and see his comments in post 45 after installation. He was very happy with the results. It will also get good MPG...

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=278215

EDIT:

Sorry wrong link, here it the one I was referring to:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=280443&page=2&highlight=dual+port

I like the LD4B better than the performer.

We took a performer off my son's 71 Valiant and replaced it with an LD4B, and it ran better and no bog/hesitation off the line.

The offy dual port dual plane intake is also good for a street driver, but restrictive over 5000 rpm, which is not a problem with a street driver. Look at this thread and see his comments in post 45 after installation. He was very happy with the results. It will also get good MPG...

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=278215

thats a very informative thread:cheers: but i fail to find a Offy intake manifold in it.:banghead:

I have a 71 or 72 340 intake taking up space in my garage. I will get around to listing it one day, or you can give me $25 plus shipping, save me the listing headache! :)

That's the best factory intake. Sought by racers in the FAST class IIRC.

I have a bid on an intake on Ebay that is just like the one rumble fish and I were looking at in a post on here a few days ago. I think if he wants to bid on the intake I might just go with the factory iron....:banghead:

-
Back