Whine in all gears

-

Map63Vette

Reaction score
So I just finished swapping a 5.7 into my Dart and I kept the old 833 that was sitting behind the old 318. I shortened the input shaft for the register style pilot bushing by around 5/8 of an inch as suggested and measured by me, but now when I drive around I get a while in all gears, not just the low ones. The car used to have a bit of a whine in first, which I figured was normal because of the low gearing, but now it whines even in third and maybe fourth. Any ideas what might be causing it? I drained all the fluid when I pulled the transmission for the swap and filled it back up once I got everything bolted in. Otherwise I can't think of anything else that may have happened to it between taking it out and putting it back in.

are you sure it's not the rear end? If not I would have to say there is an issue with your input shaft. Are you sure that it's been cut down to the correct length?

I know the rear end makes some noise, but it's obviously from the transmission and just started happening after the swap. I really don't know about the length, I measured as best I could, but I'm guessing that's most likely the issue. I just really don't like taking that thing in and out, it's a bear to get the thing out in the driveway with no lift or transmission jack. How horrible of an idea would it be to try taking out the transmission bolts and spacing it back with a washer or two to see if the problem goes away?

I'm not really sure if that would hurt anything. Ie pilot bushing ect. But if you left it jacked up and tried it and it was only for a few seconds I don't see it doing much damage if any. But I'm not a trans guy. Might want to see what others say

Make sure the trans or shifter isn't hitting the tunnel anywhere. If its whining in all gears except 4th its probably the countershaft bearings on their way out. If the input shaft was bottomed out in the crank pilot you wouldn't be able to shift into first.

Yeah, I also just remembered that the car doesn't seem to be making any grinding noise when in gear but not moving (so the input shaft should be spinning free in the crank). I just rebuilt the transmission though, so I would hope my bearings aren't bad that soon. It seems like everything shifts okay. It was hard to get it in gear the first time I started it up, but I figured it was because I just refilled the transmission with oil and it hadn't gotten in all the gears yet.

-
Back