Whiplash Bottom Line

-

mhuppertz

Reaction score
I am probably going to throw my stock 360 into the Dart for now, the 440 is just going to cost too much to finish for the time being.
I have read a bunch of stuff on the Whiplash, and have heard of a Dakota running low 12's with a bone stock 360 and this cam.

Anyone out there have any timeslip (or dyno) info with a stock 360?

Mid to high 13s is more like it.

Dont believe it. 400 h.p needed at least to run that time.

I would be shocked to see that time with that cam in a stock 360. It's ground for sound (big exhaust note). Not performance. BTW RustyRatRod, much better avatar than your last one. LOL.

Lets not just automatically say no way. Define stock 360. Stock bottom end or everything? What other mods to drivetrain? Weight saving measures? There was a guy with a 8.5:1 340 cuda with 3.91 gears that broke into the 12s on stock suspension with a whiplash. Can't imagine a reg cab, short box dakota weighs any more.

They may be about aggressive sound, but they also have longer duration than stock HP cam and maximum valve lift for stock heads. I think the specs are pretty close to a voodoo 60404 cam lift and duration wise. 400hp should be doable with a good intake and headers.

MTmopars is on the right track. I just got one in my otherwise stock 360 and Imcan tell you it has some grunt. My mill is about 9.2:1 compression, stock heads and an Air Gap. Doug's headers and dual 2 1/2" exhaust. I've got 3.23 gears as well. High 12's with everything else completely sorted is possible but 13's is probably avg. my Duster feels like mid to high 13's. with 3.91's and hooking good low13's Forsure. That being said I plan on hitting test and tune here in the next couple weeks so Ill post my slips! The cam could hit 400hp on a warmed up motor with Bette reads etc

The Whiplash and Thumpr cam are not junk. They are simply geared more toward people who want sound. But you have to still be careful with them in a street car with say 3.55 and numerically lower gears. They do have gobs of duration @ .050 for their size and are ground on tight LSAs. Those two things put together add up to needing a pretty loose converter and some fairly stout gears, REGARDLESS of what the marketing says. I don't care what the marketing says, you simply cannot get around that and you cannot tell people who are hell bent on using them a damn thing. There's nothing new about the way they are ground. Crower was doing it 40 years ago with their Hydraulic Hauler series. No, they might not have as aggressive lobes, blah blah blah, but the idea was still there. Much longer exhaust duration with a tight LSA. Same idea. But you STILL need the gears and converter to match, or it's going to run like a turd. There's nothing special about how those cams are ground that will make them work with stock converters and stock gears. Not a damn thing. That's why I always recommend building an engine based on how you want it to RUN, not how you want it to sound. Because if you build a true high performance engine, the sound WILL be there. I wish people wouldn't be so easy to fall for all the bullshit.

Once again, I am not saying Whiplash and Thumpr cams don't work, they do. But unless you use the other items you've locked yourself into by choosing those cams, they will never run to their full potential.

I haven't run the whiplash but I do run the Comp Thumpr and it definitely was NOT happy with the standard stall behind my 318.

I run a Whiplash in my 360-was a complete reman (1976 motor) with a nice adjustable valvetrain, '68 340 intake, mild work on the heads, 650 Edelbrock Thunder Series and TTi headers. I run a stock stall (from a 273) and it runs great.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HxX07hJfEA"]My 65 at sunset - YouTube[/ame]

The Whiplash and Thumpr cam are not junk. They are simply geared more toward people who want sound. But you have to still be careful with them in a street car with say 3.55 and numerically lower gears. They do have gobs of duration @ .050 for their size and are ground on tight LSAs. Those two things put together add up to needing a pretty loose converter and some fairly stout gears, REGARDLESS of what the marketing says. I don't care what the marketing says, you simply cannot get around that and you cannot tell people who are hell bent on using them a damn thing. There's nothing new about the way they are ground. Crower was doing it 40 years ago with their Hydraulic Hauler series. No, they might not have as aggressive lobes, blah blah blah, but the idea was still there. Much longer exhaust duration with a tight LSA. Same idea. But you STILL need the gears and converter to match, or it's going to run like a turd. There's nothing special about how those cams are ground that will make them work with stock converters and stock gears. Not a damn thing. That's why I always recommend building an engine based on how you want it to RUN, not how you want it to sound. Because if you build a true high performance engine, the sound WILL be there. I wish people wouldn't be so easy to fall for all the bullshit.

Once again, I am not saying Whiplash and Thumpr cams don't work, they do. But unless you use the other items you've locked yourself into by choosing those cams, they will never run to their full potential.

Excellent description, of the narrow lobe center /gobs at .050 duration camshafts. Ran a Hydraulic Hauler in a 400 Formula Fire bird. Was gutless until a 2800 stall& 3:73's went in. Couldn't hook it up ,after that. At least you are asking questions, before buying parts,kudos to the O.P.

I can't speak for the whiplash but I have had good experiences with the Comp Thumpr.

IMHO Anyone who says these cams aren't ground for performance hasn't run one.

Every dyno is different, but one thing that cannot lie is the shape of the curve.

My thumpr cammed 318 made >95% of it's peak torque from 2900-5100.
An impressive spread by any standard.

I replaced it with a 254/254 on 108 solid cam. (isky Z35)

It's much more peaky now, with more top end power but not as punchy off the line or on the street. idles at about 5" vacuum compared to the thumpr's 9". I'm going to get a new high stall to help get the most out of it.

The OP was talking about this little Dakota right here...

[ame]http://youtu.be/dvvdlKsIW9U[/ame]

RustyRatRod wrote:
There's nothing special about how those cams are ground that will make them work with stock converters and stock gears. Not a damn thing. That's why I always recommend building an engine based on how you want it to RUN, not how you want it to sound.
X2!!!
If your after the sound, no contest. If your after the best performance of your combo......there is probably a better cam grind out there......and for the same price!;)

-
Back