White smoke and no hair

-

AJ71DUSTER

Reaction score
Well I started up the new short block 408 this morning,started up real easy ran the rpm up to about 1800 to break in the cam a lifters after about ten mins I started to get white smoke from the left bank I lower the rpm's and shut engine off,

waited for about ten mins started up let idle no smoke let engine get to temp no smoke, ramped rpm back up to 1800 and in about 5 mins started to get white smoke again. idle back down shut engine off. pulled # 8 plug no water on plug,pulled #2 found water on plug check bolts on intake the two that seal water flow too head turn half turn and tighten them down again.
went back and ran my finger in the exhaust pipe and found water.
started back up at idle no smoke ramped rpm up and once again white smoke. i check the radiator for bubbles and found none.

where do I start? pull the intake,
crack cylinder wall?
thanks for any help!!!

pull the intake and look for water/oil going past the gasket.

I remember as a teenager using a metal gasket on an aluminum intake...
I had white smoke blowing out 1 tail pipe when I rev'd it.

What is the rest of the build? What heads, what head gasket, etc.

if the plug was wet on the outside, check the 4 outside exhaust bolts, if you didn't use sealer on them they could leak water on/or in the header and head.

if the plug was wet on the outside, check the 4 outside exhaust bolts, if you didn't use sealer on them they could leak water on/or in the header and head.

they would have to be literally pissing out to cause that and you would hear the seeping noise.
I've had'em leak but never do this 'out the pipe deal' though, but hey...

Yeah, it sounds internal to me. Water will never get drawn into the header from outside, and if it was running for a few mintues, any condensation would have been evaporated. It's inhaling it somehow...

The gasket set is a mr gasket kit, i don't have the part # but it was not the cheap set.
The heads are eddie performers, I had these on the first short block that I had with no issue. the head gaskets that were in the kit were a white color, the intake gaskets were the normal gray with extra beed around the intake ports.the intake is a air gap this also came off the same engine as the heads., i also have the comp cam xe 295. I found the water on the tip of the plug when i removed it from the cylinder.i will use sealer on these bolts for ruling out purpose's.

Sounds like i'm pulling the intake?

Well have to go to work now won't be able to read or reply until 11:30 pm EST.

Thanks for the help

-
Back