White smoke!!

-

340 Dart

I don't know ****.
Reaction score
A friend was cruising at about 3,500 rpm and white smoke started coming out the tailpipes. He coasted to a stop and pulled the valve covers, the oil on top was milky looking. This is a 75 dart with a mild 360.

Head gasket?

Definently water in the oil. Could be head gaskets. Start with a compression check.
my $.02
Jim

Hi. Water + oil = milky looking oil and produces white smoke out the tail pipes. Probably head gaskets might be cracked heads. Good luck. Bobby

I have to agree with everybody. You defintately have water in the oil. The white smoke tells you, you have water.

Fred B

Hopefully just a head gasket. Keep us updated.

If it is just the head gasket is it possible just to replace it and it be better? Wouldn't the head need to be redone???? (someone told me this thats why i am asking)

Hi. While the heads are off they should be checked for cracks and if they are warped. If the engine didn't overheat you should be fine. Bobby

Could be an intake gasket failure too....letting water into the valley and sucking same through the head to intake seam. Though head gasket is likely this is also a possibility.

Thanks for the answers guys. I will do the compression check first thing.
I suspected just the head gasket and I hope that is all it is.

I can take a good look around for cracks and anything else out of the ordinary but is there anything in particular I am looking for? Where are the heads likely to crack?

The compression is 10:1 and the car spends alot of time between 3,000 and 4,000 rpm. Is a Felpro gasket going to cut it or should I look into something else?

Should I put it on dry?

definetly a Head Gasket(s).

I have seen this too many times.

Fel-Pro is okay in my book for everyday street duty.
If you want a better seal, and more longevity see if you can find a set of MLS (multi layer steel) Head Gaskets.

Most of those (for other makes) have a built in O-ring to seal the cylinder better than a regular composite gasket.

There is my .02

There is my .02

That's info well worth more than .02 cents
You usually don't have to worry to much with iron heads on an iron block like you do with aluminum heads on the iron block. If it just started and he didn't run it long he's most likely ok. He will have to redo the gaskets and change the oil. Run it for a very few miles, and change it again to get all the moisture out as it will leave residue in all the upper parts of the motor, bottom of intake, valve covers, air cleaner if it's hooked to a breather, etc..

definitely find out why they mixed. getting the heads checked for flatness is well worth the money spent. if they are still flat, cool.

how many miles were on this engine?

A little water won't kill an engine, in reality, the steel ring around a cylinder probably failed, from rust or otherwise. The pressure from the coolant system was forced past the break in the headgasket ring (probably on downstroke of piston). I bet once the heads are off one of the cylinders has been "steam cleaned" so to speak from the water being steamed during combustion.

head hasket, crack in head, or head bolt that runs into a water passage is leaking badly

how many miles were on this engine?
Probably less than 5,000 but it had about 100 passes on it since it was last freshened up. It ran 12.9's @104 .

This is the 75 Dart I used to own. I sold it to this guy last October and told him I would help him fix it this weekend if he could get it over to the house.

Thanks for the info. I'll let you know what we find out on Saturday.

-
Back