WHO can shorten a C-Body axle housing?

-

Troub

67 Dart 270, 225 slant six
Reaction score
I can’t believe that not one machine shop in my area will shorten an axle housing. They all reacted like it was the worst request ever. Even a few suspension only specialty shops balked.
Can you send a whole housing to Dr. Diff or Moser for shortening? It’s a donor Newport’s C-body 8 3/4 for my 67 Dart’s big block conversion.

I can’t believe that not one machine shop in my area will shorten an axle housing. They all reacted like it was the worst request ever. Even a few suspension only specialty shops balked.
Can you send a whole housing to Dr. Diff or Moser for shortening? It’s a donor Newport’s C-body 8 3/4 for my 67 Dart’s big block conversion.
I get a machine shop not wanting to do it, they like engines, and heads, etc. Kinda surprised the suspension place didn't want to, maybe they specialize in bolt ons, and not fab work. Find a guy/place that does welding, he/they could turn it around quickly.

Agree, a machine shop that does blocks - heads and build engines would not be the place to shorten a differential housing.
You want a race car fabrication shop, a place that does welding.
Go to a local circle or drag track and talk with some crews/drivers and get recommendations.
Shortening an axel housing is not a difficult job for a person with experience and the right equipment.

Check Drive Line in Jacksonville, FL (off Lane Avenue). They recently shortened and balanced a drive shaft for me and did an amazing job. They also specialize in rear ends.

Currie, Moser, Strange, or really any 4x4 fab shop in the area. Make sure they have an alignment bar and bearing pucks.

Check Drive Line in Jacksonville, FL (off Lane Avenue). They recently shortened and balanced a drive shaft for me and did an amazing job. They also specialize in rear ends.
There's a shop like that near me I've used and sent customers to, always had great results. Thanks for reminding me about them!

According to the website they do shorten axles. They are only about 5 hours from me so if I can ship to them it will work out great. Thanks for the heads up.

4x4 or driveline shop should be able to handle it. Could also ask a driveshaft shop if they could do it for you.

Whoever does it needs to have the correct tools to index it correctly AND streighten it post welding.

My guess is most don't have the tools specific to a Mopar rear.

Same shop might narrow Ford 9" all day long

Whoever does it needs to have the correct tools to index it correctly AND streighten it post welding.

My guess is most don't have the tools specific to a Mopar rear.

Same shop might narrow Ford 9" all day long
Ford 9" and mopar are the same fixture

-
Back