Who Do We Have With Us Yet - 1960's-70's Super and Pro Stock

-

71GSSDemon

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So in the world of Super Stock and Pro Stock, who do we have with us yet? I have met Herb McCandless, Paul Rossi, The Tignanelli brothers, (all with us today) but who is out there....maybe attending shows? We have lost many since the greatest years of drag racing. Anyone know?

Last edited:
I know Butch Leal is out there, not sure if he goes to shows or not.

Butch Leal does do shows.I saw him at mopar shootout in sacramento last year.

As far as I know, Stuart McDade still lives in Hudson, NC. I haven't seen him for many years. I think he was at the first Don Carlton Memorial Nostalgia Pro Stock event several years ago in Wilkesboro, NC.

Roy Hill was there also with his drag racing school cars.

From my area, we recently lost Bruce Walker, driver of Barry Setzer's pro stock Camaro and Vega.
And also Lou Tabilio, driver of the Clyde Curtis' El Toro pro stock Dodge Colt.

I know Butch Leal is out there, not sure if he goes to shows or not.
8ED855AF-3235-4EC5-B252-9AEE4C1D3B28.jpeg
Me with Butch Leal at Carlyle 2020

Hey don't forget Dave Koffel and the Flintstone Flyer , Maloney Chrysler/Plymouth out of Massilon Oh. 1965 Hemi Plymouth and thru 1969 with the match race Barracuda with injected Hemi, clutchflite & strut front end. Engineer, innovator of B-1 heads !

Herb McCandless seems pretty active and his son's involved keeping things preserved.
Out on my coast, Jim DeFrank; I always liked watching his and Cohen's Barracuda leave on one rear wheel. Jim was always nice to me and offered advice freely; like why they ran a 12 bolt Chevy rear in the Cuda, because it was lighter than the Dana 60.

Last edited:
1967 Super Stock World Champ Ed Miller was still with us at least recently. I was messaging with him on Facebook a couple years ago. He's a nice guy. Miller & Guenther Plymouth on the left about to beat Jenkins-Arons.
4ddedb04-740b-424a-adf3-0c06797afff1.jpeg

Chuck Comella still owns the SS/AH Dart he bought new in '68. Chuck's way past 80, so his son Steve drives now, and won the Northeast Division Super Stock title with the Dart a couple years ago. In a Barracuda stick car, Steve has won the last two Indy Hemi Challenges.
Screenshot_20230427-000459.png

Chuck and Steve at the left of the picture when Steve was six.
Screenshot_20230427-000432.png

Last edited:
Over the past several years I've seen Shirley Shehan (Drag-on Lady), Akron Arlen Vanke, Don Groethier , Roger Lindamood and his son, Randy, and Jim Clarke - they were all getting up there but haven't heard of their passing. I see folks from the Ramchargers and Golden Commandos at Carlisle. Is Judy Lilly still around?

Arlen passed awhile back... He was fun. Judy Lilly passed. She was sweet. Roger is gone, also.

-
Back