who is running a stock slant six

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
we all hear of people building slant sixes these days and it seems the ol reliable engine has quite a following, but the vast majority of these builds include bigger carb system or some kind of modification.

well as many will find out, modifications often cost big money and slow a build down. I am thinking of running a stock slant.

so how many of you out there are running a stock slant ...no mods, just how it came from the assembly line.

lets see your stock sixes ....with the one barrel and just how they came:D

Mines pretty darn close to stock. Electronic ignition and a turbo muffler is the only non stock items.

Mines pretty darn close to stock. Electronic ignition and a turbo muffler is the only non stock items.

sounds pretty stock to me ...I was mainly talking about the stock 1 bbl carb ....even I install factory electronic ignition on everything I have too ....why monkey with points when you can do an easy conversion and be done with it :D

My 73 swinger is stock. Only thing i have done is play with the carb (jetting and air bleeds), curve the dizzy, ditched the ballast and have a 60K Petronix E coil on it. other than that just a tune up with NGK 3459 plugs, CH410 Cap, Ebay 8.5mm wires and 10-40GTX

Attachments

• motor clean up 3.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 577
  • 100_5811.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 572
My 73 swinger is stock. Only thing i have done is play with the carb (jetting and air bleeds), curve the dizzy, ditched the ballast and have a 60K Petronix E coil on it. other than that just a tune up with NGK 3459 plugs, CH410 Cap, Ebay 8.5mm wires and 10-40GTX

actually....it was after talking to you in chat the other evening and we were talking about slantys that made me think on this one some more.

I always had in mind to do a V8 swap like my other cars but now im starting to like and appreciate slant sixes a lot more and the more I think about it ....the more I think that there is absolutely nothing wrong with a good running, good old fashion slant, there is a reason Chrysler made so many and they ran good for millions of people over the years.

Attachments

• CIMG3276.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 526
Our dart is all stock. Boring as hell to drive that way too. :)

DSC_001921.jpg

how funny...all the slants in this thread except for mine so far are A/C cars ....must have been a popular option...I usually see more A/c cars than not .....my 68 dart in the pic is a low option, plain car with no power options what so ever

i still think a high compression stock rebuild, something like 12-13:1 compression, on pump regular and water injection. Go thru the head and some nice porting, upgrade to a 4 barrel with mechanical secondaries and i bet it would do over 30mpg with the proper drivetrain and other work.

Is this what you are looking for? Trying to put everything back as close to original as possible. Too early to say how well it will run. Just fired it up a couple weeks ago and probably won't see the road for quite a while. All good so far, but have not adjusted valves or tuned it up other than a few minutes of messing with distributur and fuel to get it running.

IMG_0530.jpg

The picture of the green 69 that I sent you is bone stock! Oh wait, I had to put a radiator in it and rubber fuel lines.

what kind of car is that ....my guess would be either a 69 cuda or 69 dart.

the firewall is the 67+ style but the voltage regulator suggests pre-70, the inner fender says pre-71, the air cleaner and valve cover and cooling line routing also suggest 67-69. the 2 speed wiper motor don't help, if it were a three speed then that would separate a 67 from 68/9 as they are different.......and the last clue is the seemingly original blue engine paint would suggest 69.

so the guess that engine bay answer would be a 69 cuda or 69 dart....Am I right ...am I right.:D

This is my '73 Dart prior to selling. The engine was pretty much stock. I changed the exhaust manifold for a larger one that mated up better with the 2¼ inch exhaust system. I ran the 1 bbl Holley 1945 the entire time. The car was showing signs of running rich, so I re-jetted the carb.

The exhaust manifold did not have a heat riser for the carburetor nor a pocket for the choke to sit in. The lack of the heat riser meant I had to go in a remove all traces of the EGR. EGR elimination consisted of plugging the vacuum line at the carb, plugging the floor of the intake manifold, and removing the EGR valve. I modified the choke spring assembly so it was suspended over one of the exhaust runners.

The engine had over 120k on it and used a quart every 1200 miles. Because I ride a scooter for round town stuff, this car saw mostly road trips. The mods raised on-the-road mileage to around 25 mpg (top speed up to 80 mph). In town was around 16 mpg. The car ran more smoothly sooner after taking out the EGR than with EGR installed.

Unless you know what you're looking at the mods are invisible. Except for the exhaust manifold, it was cheap. The original pipes were rotted out, so I was going to have to replace them anyway.

Attachments

• IMG_5619s.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 487
  • IMG_5658s.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 467
  • IMG_5046n.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 458
there is a reason why there no longer stock, stock in almost anything sucks and there is always room for improvement

the firewall is the 67+ style but the voltage regulator suggests pre-70, the inner fender says pre-71, the air cleaner and valve cover and cooling line routing also suggest 67-69. the 2 speed wiper motor don't help, if it were a three speed then that would separate a 67 from 68/9 as they are different.......and the last clue is the seemingly original blue engine paint would suggest 69.

so the guess that engine bay answer would be a 69 cuda or 69 dart....Am I right ...am I right.:D

It looks identical to my 68 Cuda above...however, based on the engine color and radiator, I'm guessing 69

My 63 Valiant was a stock 170.Sold it not too long ago
The 64 Dart was stock when I got it with a 225. won't be for long but it still will be a six.

Attachments

• IMG_0424.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 437
  • IMG_0207.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 431
  • IMG_1687.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 432
  • IMG_1683.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 431
Here was my daily driver slant for many years 5-6.
Year round cruiser, parts hauler only ride beside my motorcycle.
Stock slant, 3 on the tree, 3.91 open rear, radio delete, no option truck.
I re-done the wood in the bed and kept it shining with polyurthane.
The inside of the bed was as shiny as the outside.

It died on a 2-2008 after hitting black ice on an interstate bridge, head on into a gaurdrail at 60 mph.......

truck52006.jpg

80 Volare, stock other than HEI. 62 Valiant, stock so far. 77 dodge d200, made the mistake of going to a 318, going back to a /6

Rani, you've seen my '72 "refurb" thread, but I'll still add myself to the list of basically stock /6's. Upgraded to Mopar EI, but if I'd known about the HEI conversion at the time, I'd have done that instead.

This is an old pic, I've fixed some things since then, but for all intents and purposes, it's still stock. I'm refurbing a '71 /6 to replace this tired one with hopefully in the spring if I'm not too busy with the GTS.

After I decided to keep this a /6 car, I was tempted to do the usual 2v or 4v with header and what not, and I saw some good deals on setups at the Nats, but that always snowballs into wanting a new rear, new this new that... and I don't want that (OK, I do, but I don't want the expenditure). This is just my fun cruiser, my "stock" car to not really touch, to just leave more or less as it came from the factory. To enjoy for what it is. And with all the V8 swaps going on, it will some day become a rarity :)

Proudly wearing the Slant 6 Club stickers.

Attachments

• IMG_7055_email.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 445
  • IMG_7066email.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 449
I didn't know there is a slant six club .....where are they ...I want in the cool kid's club :D:D

Nicely Done! It's in a 69 Barracuda. I've only had it a short time so I couldn't tell you how much is original and what's been changed. Looks pretty virgin for the most part..

I didn't know there is a slant six club .....where are they ...I want in the cool kid's club :D:D

It was a real club that closed up in the '80s (I think). Someone on here was selling those stickers awhile back. I can't remember off hand who it was, but I'll bet a search in for sale for "Slant Club Stickers" would turn it up! :thumbrig:

-
Back